DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (storahci.sys) --- BSOD Running on VirtualBox

Question

• I'm trying to install the DP on VirtualBox, but I've got this error during the boot of the ISO image that I just downloaded from MSDN.

The host is a Windows 7 Professional x64, the processor is an AMD Phenom II X2 3.2GHz with Virtalization enabled.

Here is the error again

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (storahci.sys)

Does anyone have any idea of how to solve this problem?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:43 PM

Answers

• I had this same issue.  I changed my hard drive in VirtualBox from a SATA Controller in AHCI mode to and IDE Controller and it installed with no issues.

For the record, prior to experiencing the issue, I had created a new virtual machine and chose Windows 7 as the machine's OS.  I kept all the default settings that VirtualBox sets for Windows 7.  The only setting that changed was the hard drive controller.  Worked fine after that.

• Proposed as answer by austin.greca Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:54 PM
    • Edited by austin.greca Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by denis_belo Friday, September 16, 2011 12:48 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I had this same issue.  I changed my hard drive in VirtualBox from a SATA Controller in AHCI mode to and IDE Controller and it installed with no issues.

For the record, prior to experiencing the issue, I had created a new virtual machine and chose Windows 7 as the machine's OS.  I kept all the default settings that VirtualBox sets for Windows 7.  The only setting that changed was the hard drive controller.  Worked fine after that.

• Proposed as answer by austin.greca Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:54 PM
    • Edited by austin.greca Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by denis_belo Friday, September 16, 2011 12:48 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Thanks -- this solution worked for me.  I deleted the default SATA Controller, and established the VHD as IDE Controller (Primary Master):

Mark Tabladillo PhD (MVP, SAS Expert; MCT, MCITP, MCAD .NET) http://www.marktab.net
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:42 AM