none
Can't delete Shadow Copy on volume

Question

• There is a volume E that has it's Shadow Copy space pointed to volume G.  I'm not sure why.  We would like to chage to use E for the Shadow Copy space.  I cannot change it.  I get this error.

I've tried setting the space to use a small limit temporarily to free up the space and allow me to change it, but that does not work either.  I then tried to delete via command line using the "Delete ShadowStorage" command and get this message.  "Error: Snapshots were found, but they were outside of your allowed context.  Try removing them with the backup application which created them."  I don't know what backup application would ahve created it. 

Is there a way that I can delete this snapshot forcefully?

This is a production system.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Hollis

Monday, February 18, 2013 4:22 PM

Answers

• The command returned EqlVss.exe

Maybe that is the VSS provider that created the snapshot.  We do have Dell Equallogic host integration tools installed that can take snapshots of Dell EQ volumes in coordination with the storage array.

I stopped that service, and tried to change the associate but couldn't.

I then changed the size from "No limit" to "Use limit - 320MB" as I had read that that could help clear up snapshots.  That did it.  The size change took hold which removed the snapshot that was there.  Then I was able to change the snapshot storage location from G to drive E and set the the max size to "No Limit" again.

Once I stopped the EqlVss service which was started but is set to a manual startup type, the normal windows VSS service has started

Michael Hollis

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:36 PM

All replies

• can you kill VSSVC.exe from the task manager and try to break the association?

Regards

Satish

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:19 PM
  • I can try that.  This server has DFS running as well.  Is there anything I need to be ware of taking that into account?

Michael Hollis

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:20 PM
  • VSSVC.exe is not running

Michael Hollis

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:21 PM
  • use show all processes option.

you can also check on command prompt

tasklist|findstr /i vss 

Regards

Satish

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:30 PM
  • The command returned EqlVss.exe

Maybe that is the VSS provider that created the snapshot.  We do have Dell Equallogic host integration tools installed that can take snapshots of Dell EQ volumes in coordination with the storage array.

I stopped that service, and tried to change the associate but couldn't.

I then changed the size from "No limit" to "Use limit - 320MB" as I had read that that could help clear up snapshots.  That did it.  The size change took hold which removed the snapshot that was there.  Then I was able to change the snapshot storage location from G to drive E and set the the max size to "No Limit" again.

Once I stopped the EqlVss service which was started but is set to a manual startup type, the normal windows VSS service has started

Michael Hollis

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:36 PM