none
UNable to load Print Control

Question

• Hi

We have recently encountered that users without admin rights cannot send a report to the printer via SSRS without entering the admin creds first each time

We are running ie8 on win7 pcs  using RS2008 SP2

Thanks

Joe

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:45 PM

Answers

• OK, truly stumped now. On all installations I have done where we have to manually install the control we simply Go to the users machine, right click on IE choose "Run as Administrator" then blah blah.. install ActiveX control, close the browser and voilà, all will work.

Maybe I was wrong about the AD configuration but if so your org. must have VERY strict rules.

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:24 PM

All replies

• There is no work around for this, sorry. You need to speak with your IT dept. and ask them to update all PC's with the activeX control via SMS or similar. Either that or someone is going to have to go around and launch the browser as admin and install manually.

• Proposed as answer by ETLMike Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ETLMike Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:37 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for getting back

I have tried logging in as admin and it loads but as soon as I login as a non-admin it asks for admin creds again?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Hi Joe,

According to your description, I understand that the users without administrator permission can’t load the client print control when trying to print the reports.

When trying to print reports from Reporting Services, the RSClientPrinty control needs to be downloaded and installed to the client machines. This is done automatically the first time a user tries to print a report and the users need to be administrators or Power Users in order to be able to download the control though the web. If the users have insufficient permission and they aren’t able to deploy the RsClientPrint control to IE from the server. In this case, we need to deploy the files manually. Please refer to the steps below:

1. On the reporting services server, navigate to the <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<instance name>\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin folder.

2. Extract the rsclientprint.cab by double-clicking on it, you will find the following files:
    RSClientPrint.dll
    RSClientPrint.inf
    RSClientPrint_1028.rll
    RSClientPrint_1031.rll
    RSClientPrint_1033.rll
    RSClientPrint_1036.rll
    RSClientPrint_1040.rll
    RSClientPrint_1041.rll
    RSClientPrint_1042.rll
    RSClientPrint_1043.rll
    RSClientPrint_1046.rll
    RSClientPrint_1053.rll
    RSClientPrint_2052.rll
    RSClientPrint_3082.rll

3. Copy the above files to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder.

4. Run the command prompt as administrator, and register the rsclientprint.dll by using the following commands:

cd \
    cd C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files 
    regsvr32 rsclientprint.dll

5. We would now see a pop up stating the dll is registered successfully.

Reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mariae/archive/2010/04/13/error-unable-to-load-client-print-control-when-printing-reports-in-reporting-services-summary-of-all-possible-causes-at-april-2010.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan 

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the info.

Do I do the regsvr on the client pc or the reporting server?

Thanks Again

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Hi Heidi

I figured it was loaded on the client side

I registered the dll sucessfully and I am still asked for the administrator creditials when I try to print ?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:17 PM
  • As I mentioned there is no workaround for bypassing the requirement for administrator credentials, you will need to use a combination of Heidi's and my answers.

Also if you launch browser as admin as opposed to logging in as admin then the user to whom the PC belongs will be able to use the print functionality.

Your best bet if you have a lot of PCs/laptops to update is to ask your IT dept to roll out via SMS.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Thanks for all the info

Here is what I tried on my pc 

Question
    1. On the reporting services server, navigate to the <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<instance name>\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin folder.

2. Extract the rsclientprint.cab by double-clicking on it, you will find the following files:
    RSClientPrint.dll
    RSClientPrint.inf
    RSClientPrint_1028.rll
    RSClientPrint_1031.rll
    RSClientPrint_1033.rll
    RSClientPrint_1036.rll
    RSClientPrint_1040.rll
    RSClientPrint_1041.rll
    RSClientPrint_1042.rll
    RSClientPrint_1043.rll
    RSClientPrint_1046.rll
    RSClientPrint_1053.rll
    RSClientPrint_2052.rll
    RSClientPrint_3082.rll

3. Copy the above files to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder.

4. Run the command prompt as administrator, and register the rsclientprint.dll by using the following commands:

cd \
    cd C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files 
    regsvr32 rsclientprint.dll

registered sucessfully

I then logged in as a user with no admin rights

ran IE as administrator , logged in, it asked to install active x components, installed and printed

when I then ran IE as the user without admin rights I was asked for admin creds when I went to print??? 

• Edited by Jbalbo Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:41 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Did you run steps 3,4 on the client machine? Step 3 should say "Copy the above files to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder on the client machine"
    Friday, September 20, 2013 7:57 AM
  • I think I did but will try again and let u know...

Friday, September 20, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I did it exactly as directed, still asking for admin creds when going to print as end user

Wondering if any other things I may have missed or settings on IE?

Thanks

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Try the following:

To configure a browser for client-side printing

1. In Microsoft Internet Explorer, from the Tools menu, choose Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.

2. Select the Trusted sites Web content zone, and then click Sites.

3. Type the report server URL. By default, this is https://<ComputerName>/reportserver if you are using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

4. Click Add, and then click OK.

5. Click the Custom Level button. Scroll to the ActiveX controls and plug-ins node.

6. Click Enable for Download signed ActiveX controls, and then click OK.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159190(v=sql.100).aspx

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for the info

Tried and really don't know where to go from here..

Maybe its the way users are configured in AD?

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:30 PM
  • I doubt it, this sounds really iffy.

If an admin user logs in and installs the ActiveX control are they prompted to install it again the next time they log in?

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Actually

I have admin access and I never got it

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:07 PM
  • OK, truly stumped now. On all installations I have done where we have to manually install the control we simply Go to the users machine, right click on IE choose "Run as Administrator" then blah blah.. install ActiveX control, close the browser and voilà, all will work.

Maybe I was wrong about the AD configuration but if so your org. must have VERY strict rules.

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:24 PM