SouceSafe: ss.exe does not pick up 'SSDIR' environment variable when run from an app

Question

• Hello,

I am working on an application that uses Process and ProcessStartInfo to run ss.exe to perform some maintenance tasks.

On the error stream, I am constantly getting a message: ""No VSS database (srcsafe.ini) found.  Set the SSDIR environment variable to the path of srcsafe.ini for your VSS database."

To make sure my SSDIR variable is set, I inspected the ProcessStartInfo object - specifically the EnvironmentVariables.  Sure enough, ssdir was one of the environment variables, and it was set to the path of srcsafe.ini.

On a different thought, I also tried setting SSDIR via My Computer.  But I still got the error message.

This is the executable for Visual Studio 2005.  How can I get ss.exe to recognize the variable?  Or, is there a .NET or COM interface to VSS, that does not use ss.exe?

Thanks,
    -Josh
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Does ss.exe work correctly from a command line with exactly the same command and environment variables on the same machine?

-Karel

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Is this issue still open?  Thanks.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    See what's happening in MSDN forum? Follow us at Twitter.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 5:23 AM