none
error removing users from share point groups

Question

• I have an admin user who is unable to remove users under site/people and groups/groups. Whenever they click on the user they get an access denied user. They also cannot see the 'Remove Users from Group' optioun under Actions. I can see it and remove users myself and they are in the same sharepoint group and have the same security as I do as far as we can tell. We are both using sharepoint 2010 and ie 9.   
    • Edited by J-Bal Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:58 PM
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:58 PM

Answers

• This must be a permissions issue.  If they can't even see the "Remove Users from Group" option, this indicates that SharePoint is performing security trimming as expected.

One quick and easy way to troubleshoot this is to temporarily promote your admin user to the role of Site Collection Administrator and, once that's done, have them try to edit permissions.  This will work and then you can begin investigating why they can't edit permissions without being a site collection administrator.  It's a permissions issue and I'd recommend reviewing the permission levels in your site collection to see if anything has been tampered with or if perhaps there are custom permission levels that might prevent your admin from making such changes.

Colorless Green Ideas Sleep Furiously http://www.sharepointnerd.com

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Hi:

I have understand you question. You have a admin user who unable to remove users under site/people and groups/groups.

The following are the suggestions:

1. Remove the admin user account, and add it again, check whether it could remove or not.
    2. Whether the admin account in other user groups, or has been assigned with other permissions.
    3. Check whether there are other permissions that the admin account should have or not.

Besides that, you can also following the steps like that:
    In Central Administrator->Site Action->Site Permissions->Site Collection Administrators(in the Ribbon), the add the users what you want to, they will have the permission to remove the users.

If you have any problems, please reply me.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:47 AM

All replies

• This must be a permissions issue.  If they can't even see the "Remove Users from Group" option, this indicates that SharePoint is performing security trimming as expected.

One quick and easy way to troubleshoot this is to temporarily promote your admin user to the role of Site Collection Administrator and, once that's done, have them try to edit permissions.  This will work and then you can begin investigating why they can't edit permissions without being a site collection administrator.  It's a permissions issue and I'd recommend reviewing the permission levels in your site collection to see if anything has been tampered with or if perhaps there are custom permission levels that might prevent your admin from making such changes.

Colorless Green Ideas Sleep Furiously http://www.sharepointnerd.com

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Hi:

I have understand you question. You have a admin user who unable to remove users under site/people and groups/groups.

The following are the suggestions:

1. Remove the admin user account, and add it again, check whether it could remove or not.
    2. Whether the admin account in other user groups, or has been assigned with other permissions.
    3. Check whether there are other permissions that the admin account should have or not.

Besides that, you can also following the steps like that:
    In Central Administrator->Site Action->Site Permissions->Site Collection Administrators(in the Ribbon), the add the users what you want to, they will have the permission to remove the users.

If you have any problems, please reply me.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:47 AM