none
I need some help choosing online training for an MCITP - EA

Question

• Hello. I hope I'm not repeating a question here. I did search before posting this and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm interested in obtaining this certification and I'm getting overwhelmed by the options I'm finding in online searches. I have numerous certifications in other technologies, but I've never had an MS certification. I have a good level of knowledge of Windows desktop products, including Windows 7, and a fairly mediocre level of knowledge of the server products. In other words, I'm not starting completely from scratch and don't need hand holding. I'm not trying to "break into" the IT field, because I'm already there, but I'm thinking about moving into other areas, or possibly just increasing my knowledge to become more effective in what I already do. I want a really good online program I can use, meaning I'm not just looking to get certifications. I don't want practice tests I can do 50 times then go in and pass a real test. I want a quality program that I'll actually learn from, and that will help me pass the tests afterward. I'm already employed, so it doesn't need to be a "crash course," and I'm willing to pay a decent amount of money for a quality program.

All that being said, I looked at Insider Training and Prep Logic fairly briefly. I stopped looking and decided to ask advice after that, because I also I found quite a few that "guarantee" you'll get certified and the entire program is $300, and I don't trust that.

Knowing my current level of expertise and what I'm looking for, can you suggest training companies? Please let me know if you've actually used the company's programs, what you like about them, and what you don't, and why you recommend them over others. Even better if you've used multiple online training companies and can give a pro and con comparison.

Thanks in advance!
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:38 PM

Answers

• I've done self-study for all of my certifications.  I used to use both CBT Nuggets and either MS Press or Sybex books.  At this point, I've switched totally over to using TestOut's materials.

I'm finding the combination of videos, printed material, simulations and quizzes in each section to be really helpful and makes learning the material a little easier.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:51 PM

All replies

• I've done self-study for all of my certifications.  I used to use both CBT Nuggets and either MS Press or Sybex books.  At this point, I've switched totally over to using TestOut's materials.

I'm finding the combination of videos, printed material, simulations and quizzes in each section to be really helpful and makes learning the material a little easier.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:51 PM
  • This last post seems a little too much of an ad for my taste.

Our company uses PrepLogic and TestOut for training.
    Jim Guy
    MCP, MCITP EA, CCNA, CEH

Systems Administrator
    Kirkland, Washington
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:22 PM
  • I have just started looking into the training as well. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Transcender e-Learning courses? I have used their practice exams in the past with a lot of success.

Thanks,
    Jeff  
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:43 PM
  • I believe Transcender resells the old Net G product. I've not used it personally. Demo it and see if you like it. My understanding is that Transcender is moving in a new direction and their training isn't going to be their focus long term. They, along with a few others in the industry, have got their sights on virtual labs.
    Jim Guy
    MCP, MCITP EA, CCNA, CEH

Systems Administrator
    Kirkland, Washington
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Has anyone had any experience with TrainSignal?

You get 4 training videos for the 83-640, 70-642, & 70-646 exams plus the Transcenders practice exams and virtual labs for $797.00. Plus they have a 90 day guarantee. I tried the some of the free videos and they looked pretty good. This sounds like a deal that is almost to good.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Trainsignal is also a good provider.  CBT Nuggets, TestOut and Trainsignal have their own styles.  Trainsignal's training videos are more of a scenerio-based/real world situation (vs. CBT Nuggets or TestOut which is primarily lecture).  Your choice should be based on your style of learning.  i.e. if you learn best via lecture and reading, CBT Nuggets or TestOut.  If you're better at learning through a "real world" example, Trainsignal would be a great choice. 
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:12 PM
  • This last post seems a little too much of an ad for my taste.

Our company uses PrepLogic and TestOut for training.
    Jim Guy
    MCP, MCITP EA, CCNA, CEH

Systems Administrator
    Kirkland, Washington

Didn't mean to come across like that.  Just for my style of learning, TestOut is working the best for me.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Thanks Charles. That is good info.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Hello Dear,

Have you started your training? what results you found and which training package you have chose. i'm now moving to start my MCITP but i dont know what best training package provider should I take. I just passed through trainsignal.com and found very interesting package.

But i'm really reading many negative reviews about all online centers online. i would trust any feedback posted here on microsoft forums. so please help>

Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:21 AM