none
Using Excel 2010 to replace value of existing cell

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to create a database in which an inventory of parts (Quantity on Hand) is modified based on the parts used during the day.  The log is checked by an administrator and the "Task Change" tool will be used to accept/reject the # of parts used. I was hoping to have something along the lines of:

if # Parts Used is Accepted, then Quantity on Hand changes to previous Quantity on Hand - # Parts Used.

and

if # parts used is Rejected, then Quantity on Hand stays the same

Is there any way to do this or should I think of a different approach?

Thanks

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you creating the database in Excel / Access?

Cheers

Shasur

http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com http://www.dotnetdud.blogspot.com
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Yeah I'm using Excel. Sorry for the confusion!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to create a database in which an inventory of parts (Quantity on Hand) is modified based on the parts used during the day.  The log is checked by an administrator and the "Task Change" tool will be used to accept/reject the # of parts used. I was hoping to have something along the lines of:

if # Parts Used is Accepted, then Quantity on Hand changes to previous Quantity on Hand - # Parts Used.

and

if # parts used is Rejected, then Quantity on Hand stays the same

Is there any way to do this or should I think of a different approach?

Thanks

I don't know your comfort level with VBA and OOP...I imagine there is a cell used to contain the 'accepted' status.  If so, use the Excel worksheet change event and if it is that cell (or a cell in that column) then if it is 'accepted' then carry out the inventory update.
    Tushar Mehta (Technology and Operations Consulting)
    www.tushar-mehta.com (Excel and PowerPoint add-ins and tutorials)
    Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-Present
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:13 PM