none
line/column numbers are not displayed

Question

• In the status bar of my source code editor there are no column or line numbers. I go to Edit-->Properties and the checkbox "show line/column position" is properly checked. The help says that the numbers aren't displayed if wordwrap enabled. It is unaccessible in my editor properties dialog box. I cannot enable it because it dimmed.

What else is missing here?

Thanks.
    Monday, September 26, 2005 5:35 PM

Answers

• Try SET MESSAGE TO in the command window. I find some of the VFP tools like Code Reference will SET MESSAGE TO "" and does not reset it when leaving.
    Monday, September 26, 2005 7:40 PM

All replies

• Try SET MESSAGE TO in the command window. I find some of the VFP tools like Code Reference will SET MESSAGE TO "" and does not reset it when leaving.
    Monday, September 26, 2005 7:40 PM
  • Now it is working although I cannot exactly say what brought it to life. I tried a few things you and "help" recommended.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 26, 2005 8:43 PM
  • Alex,

VFP uses the foxuser.dbf to hold most of these sorts of configuration items at an item by item levvel. So say you open a prg and it doesn't have lineno set on and close it, foxuser remembers this. Open another prg and realize you the lineno feature is available and you turn it on and even check on Apply to PRG files so now this PRG and all future ones will have lineno on. But reopen the first prg and you'll see it's not displaying linenos, this is because the foxuser record for this particular prg has it set off.

While you are getting used to VFP you may have different things in different states. To get everything back to ground zero you can just delete the foxuser files and VFP will reconstruct them from scratch.

? sys(2005)

will tell you where your foxuser table is stored.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:50 AM
  • Yoe are 100% correct. It needs SET MESSAGE TO every time you start VFP up.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:24 PM
  • Thank you David, I will do it.

There is still another problem with SET MESSAGE TO. I just discovered it. This paragraph also might be addressed to Rick who so graciously answered my first question.

What happens is when I execute a routine (not in debug mode, just by running a form, the routine is located in a separate .prg file) the code runs into a problem, I get an error message, it throws me into a debug after I clicked "suspend." And here I want to examine the runtime environment. In particular I want to know where my tables ended up in terms of the workareas.

I go to a Command Window, type ?Alias(n) where n is an integer and get an alias of a table BUT, this output appears on the FACE of the form again. SET MESSAGE TO does *not* work anymore even if you type it now in the command window. It is kind of weird. Why is it so?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:26 PM
  • Alex,

I normally run with the debugger set to FoxPro Frame, which gives me just the debug windows I want to use trace and locals most of the time, sometimes debug output and watch.

To see the data environments click the toolbar button to open the Data Session Window. This gives you access to all of the tables/cursors in the default data session as well as any in the private DS forms. Use the Current Session cbo to change data sessions.

The SET MESSAGE gets stuck at truly annoying times inside the IDE. Fortunately in the Command Window you can just put the cursor on a previously typed command an hit enter to reexecute it again.

I'm not sure where you are located but if it's close to AZ at all you might want to look at going to the SW Fox conference, it's a great value and a good opportunity to get into the thick of VFP pretty quickly.

I don't know if anyone has pointed you o the FoxPro Wiki yet or not, it's another great online resource. http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~IntroToVFP and here's a topic for upcoming conferences http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~UpcomingEvents

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:02 AM