none
CRM Infrastructure Question

Question

• We are planning to expand from a single server setup to 2 servers (CRM Application and SQL Server).  Where should we plan on putting the SharePoint application?  Should it be on the CRM Application server or the SQL Server?

I imagine we will also have to make changes to ADFS as well?

Ken

Ken Compter

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• Where is ADFS currently installed? On the CRM Server or on a different server?

Will you be rebuilding the CRM Server or just simply moving SQL to a new server? If you are keeping the same CRM Server what website is CRM Installed to? Did you have the CRM install create its own website or did you did you install to the Default WebSite?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi Chris, ADFS is on the CRM Application server. The plan is to move SQL to another server.  We created a new website for CRM.  So the CRM app server will have ADFS, CRM, IIS, Email Router & SharePoint. The SQL server would only have SQL. Does this sound reasonable?

Ken

Ken Compter

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Given the choice, I would always run SQL Server standalone.  SQL Server is resource hungry; it, and the applications it serves, run much more smoothly when it is free to consume whatever resources are at its disposal without contention from other applications.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:13 AM
  • I agree with Pogo, SQL would probably be best on its own server.

I have not seen to many servers running CRM, ADFS and SharePoint so I couldn't comment on how well that would work out. I would think if its a newer server and you dont have to many active users you should be ok.

Obviously if there is a way to get another server for Share point that would be the ideal setup

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:41 AM
  • In a typical limited SharePoint deployment you put all web applications server roles in one server and the databases in another one, as you are willing to do for CRM.

You should always leave the SQL server standalone.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:46 AM