none
COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004E00F)

Question

• I've installed Window XP x64 edition (with SP2), and all applications (VSS 6.0, VS 2008 and SQL Server 2005) work just fine. However, once I installed Commerce Server 2007 Developer edition, and tried placing test orders, I'm getting:

COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004E00F)

When I look at the Windows Event Log, I also find this error, that precedes the one above:
    The run-time environment was unable to initialize for transactions required to support transactional components. Make sure that MS-DTC is running. (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx(): hr = 0x80070005)

I've tried many things such as reinstalling Distributed Transaction Coordinator, and then even reinstalling Window XP x64 edition from scratch, but nothing helped.

Microsoft says Commerce Server 2007 is supported on Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 with XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 13, including 64-bit version (from "Microsoft Commerce Server 2007 Quick Installation Guide").

Any ideas and similar cases you know of?

We have 2 other developers who installed same apps on Windows 2003 Server 64-bit edition, and placing orders with Commerce Server 2007 works just fine.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

HR 0x80070005 errors are usually permissions related. Check the user running the COM+ and DTC services has suffcient permissions.

Let me know how you get on...

Lewis
    Follow Me on Twitter: @LewisBenge Or check out my blog: http://www.geekswithblogs.com/pointtoshare/
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Thanks, but what permissions would that be? The app pool user is member of IIS_WPG group. Doesn't it need more privileges? I'm logging in to PC as a member of local admins group.

As a test, I've added the app pool to Administrators group and it worked. But this is a brute force method...
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Check wether the app poll user has COM+ (launch/Access) and that it has it is a member of the runtimeuser security group as per the Commerce Server installation guide.
    Follow Me on Twitter: @LewisBenge Or check out my blog: http://www.geekswithblogs.com/pointtoshare/
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:36 AM