none
Search results showing ID of Managed metadata field

Question

• Our output of the search function in our Sharepoint 2010 intranet shows the id of the managed metadata field (see image).

Every time a managed metadata field is shown in the result, it is followed by it's ID. Does anyone know the solution to this problem? Does this have something to do with the crawl settings of these managed metadata fields? Thx in advance.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:40 AM

All replies

• I have managed meta data fields working fine.

I created a managed property.

Mapped the crawled property to the managed property (ensure that you are picking the correct crawled property, perhaps you are picking that entitled ows_tax....etc and I think you will find there is another field).

I then also mapped this crawled property to the contentshidden field.

I can then search on the managed property AND display it's contents in the core results web part.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Thx for the reply. I'll have another swing at it. I'll keep you posted!

Grtz.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Dear,

What IMDR26 actually means is that in the search core results web part, as shown above in the screenshot, the term ids appear of the term values attached to a document. This way the description in the search results get unreadable. This however seems to be standard behavior. Is there an easy, configurable way to hide those term ids from the search results description? I also think the term ids only appear for office documents, I haven't seen pdf documents with the same result for example. Has anyone a solution? Why are these term ids shown?

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
    Luc 

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Is there anyone with an explanation for this behavior?

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Luc

Monday, October 03, 2011 10:43 AM
  • HI,

Has anyone found a fix for this?  We're experiencing the same thing, though it doesn't happen on every document.  I have not been able to determine what is different about the docs the display correctly and those that do not.

Thanks!

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

what needs to be done is to add a new managed property to your search configuration and map it the field in your search result.
    You will find a detailed how to on the following page:
    http://www.insidesharepoint.net/post/Using-taxonomy-fields-in-SharePoint-2010-Part-III.aspx

Whenever you create a new taxonomy field instead of one field two will be created one contain the TermValue|<GUID of Term> and a another one with with term value itself.

If you create a field named "color" then you will find the following fields in the crawled property "ows_color" and "ows_taxid_color". The first field "ows_color" is the one you need to use.

If you are more interested in how Taxonomy Fields work you should check out my blog post:
    http://www.n8d.at/blog/sharepoint-2010/anatomy-of-managed-metadata-fields/

K
    ind regards
    Stefan

http://www.n8d.at/blog
    Follow me on Twitter: StFBauer | n8design

Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    MCTS - SharePoint / WSS Configuration and Development

• Proposed as answer by Lance G Friday, March 01, 2013 9:24 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Thanks, Stefan!  I do have a couple of questions, though:

I do not have access to Central Admin, can I still implement this solution?  How?

I'm not 100% sure this really gets at the problem since it does not happen on all files nor on all metadata fields - some work just fine.

Paul

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Where is the managed metadata field? is it a column in the library or is it also inside the document as a Quick Part?

Benjamin Niaulin Blog: http://bniaulin.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

They are columns in the library - created through the Term Management Store.  They are editable (in word, excel and other MS files) from within the file itself, as well as from the Edit Properties in SP

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I guess what I meant was, does the issue happen only with Word documents? 

Benjamin Niaulin Blog: http://bniaulin.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:37 AM
  • No, it happens with all files

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Dear,

What IMDR26 actually means is that in the search core results web part, as shown above in the screenshot, the term ids appear of the term values attached to a document. This way the description in the search results get unreadable. This however seems to be standard behavior. Is there an easy, configurable way to hide those term ids from the search results description? I also think the term ids only appear for office documents, I haven't seen pdf documents with the same result for example. Has anyone a solution? Why are these term ids shown?

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
    Luc 

We are having the same results and this does appear to be the standard behavior.  All of our managed properties which are mapped only to the ows crawled properties are returning GUID's in the search results making the results messy and undesirable.  Is there a way to remove the GUID's?
    Friday, June 29, 2012 8:59 PM
  • The problem seems to be that when I search on a word and that word is not in the document the summary is shown with first content it finds in document. The Taxonomy property is defined in the top of document it shows the tax field value with wssid. When I search on a word that is actually in the document I see a summary with text arround that word and Taxonomy field is not displayed
    • Proposed as answer by Danny Hansen Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:20 AM
    • Edited by Danny Hansen Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Danny Hansen Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:23 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

coming back to this open-topic: Did you guys manage to solve this problem?
    We are running into the same problem and would be interested in a solution / explanation.

Thanks for any hints,

best wishes,

Thomas

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Problem still happening with August 2012 CU
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:00 PM
  • I still have the same problem :(
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I managed to fix mine. Basically in the document library where the document from the result is stored, there was another field same name as the meta data field but it had "_0" appended to it. E.g. my managed metadata field was Region and the duplicate I found was Region_0.
    I turns out if we create a document from the content type, and you later take it offline and re upload it to the same library that coloumn misteriousky appears.
    What I then did was write a List receiver to delete that field "Region_0" whenever its created. Remember to run a full crawl after deleting that field from the library.

Friday, November 09, 2012 5:15 AM
  • You shouldn't remove the field ending with _0 this is the hidden note field where SharePoint stores the id|guid|label value from the taks hidden list. It is used to make sure when you change values in terms store the hidden list on site collection is changed also and then all fields will show new value. When you remove note field the list field doesn't now what the record in the hidden list is.
    Friday, November 09, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Have you got solution for this. Please help.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:15 AM
  • The only way I can fix this is to add my tax field that is displaying to the managed propertie ExcludeFromSummary.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Hi Danny, Thanks for your time. I was able to exclude fields by the you have mentioned. But in my production its not working for this particular Managed property. I tried both OWS_ fields in mapping and done full crawl. This taxid always appears in search description. I also have another issue that when we search by managed property refine panel not works fine for other managed properties. But everything good in test server.

Is this something to do with any cumulative Updates? Do i have to update any.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested this with latest updates but problem still occurs. 

It also looks like when you have tax field in your Word document it will show up in result even if you add it to exclude.

I get different results. Some don't show up and some do. I can't seem to pinpoint why the problem occurs
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:45 AM