none
: A a BadImageFormat Exception has been thrown while parsing the signature. This is likely due to lack of a generic context. Ensure genericTypeArguements and genericMethodArgments are provided and contain enough context. Error code 0x84B10001.

Question

• Hi,

I am running Windows7 64 bit.

I loaded SQL Server 2008R2 quite a while ago, I was unaware my computer had a compact version of SQL2005 pre-installed at the time, however when I went to run the SQL Server Configuration manager had an error regarding not being able to connect to the WMI provider and that I can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later.

I ran the fix noted in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956013 and was then able to run the SQL server Configuration manager.

I went to install some more components using the SQL installation centre and get the message:

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:  A BadImageFormat Exception has been thrown while parsing the signature.  This is likely due to lack of a generic context. Ensure genericTypeArguements and genericMethodArgments are provided and contain enough context.  Error code 0x84B10001.

I have now tried uninstalling all SQL versions and then loading the SQL Server 2012 setup CD to install SQL however I can't get past this message.

I have tried running as administrator, tried running from the command prompt as Administrator.   Is there are registry key that I need to delete so I can load the SQLServer setup software?  This is the message that keeps appearing that I can't get past.

Any suggestions on how I can get past this error message trying to simply load the setup program?

Thanks

Heather

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

"A BadImageFormat Exception " means the media is corrupted. Please download the media again, then copy the ISO or the media from the DVD drive into the local disk, uncompress the ISO, and run SQL Server setup from the local disk drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi Heather, can you check event viewer to see if it shows which file is hitting the BadImageFormatException?  Also, just to confirm, are you trying to install the 64-bit version of SQL Server by launching setup.exe directly (as opposed to an installer from a subfolder on the media)?  At what stage of setup do you hit the exception? 

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:46 AM
  • I had already tried this.  

After trying various installs etc I must of corrupted my Windows7 or registry.

I then could not get any Microsoft program to work getting "Side by side" errors.

In the end I had to reinstall windows 7, restore my backup and reinstall my other applications.

I am wondering if it was the installation of my MYOB 2013 AccountRight software that may of caused the problem but can't be sure. 

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi Samuel

I was just running setup but will try from the sub-folder

Unfortunately I must of corrupted the registry as I was getting side-by-side errors trying to run various other programs like excel, word etc.  I have had to reload Windows 7 and my other applications and restore my data.

I am not sure if it was my MYOB upgrade that may of caused it, but when reloading software I will install this first and then SQL from the subfolder to see how I go.

Thanks   Heather

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:46 AM