Why was the search feature completely broken in Windows 7?

Question

• Why was the search feature completely broken in Windows 7? For example, in previous versions of windows if I wanted to search for any file which contained something in their contents I could just go to advanced search and search for this.
    Now, in Windows 7 there's no advanced search. All you have is this terrible little search window which doesn't even find unindexed files. If I want to search for file contents I need to use:
    content:"something"
    Does anyone even have a list of all these command line features that we can use to get the functionality back that was taken out of Windows 7? Why oh why was the search feature broken? It's like going back to DOS command line. When is this going to be fixed? Is there a patch or anything? Are their third party utilities people recommend to replace the search feature?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:14 PM

All replies

• I agree too.  In the 90s you could actually search not only for file masks, but look for snippets of text embedded in files.  Microsoft has slowly removed this functionality.  It was so useful in windows 2000 to right click on a directory and easily search for *.exe, *.doc containing text such-and-such.  Now I'm hunting around for third party tools to perform these basic tasks.  It's a PITA to have to boot with a linux OS just to search for files.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Agree.   Today was the first day I've actually had to search for something since installing 7, and couldn't believe the pathetic little search applet in the upper right.   I decided to google what I was doing wrong, only to find out that search functionality has been badly crippled in this version.

I can't understand why Microsoft does this sort of thing.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:50 AM
  • Windows 7 took a giant leap backwards in search usability, which completely ruins the value of the massive speed increase.  It's easier to search via mapped drive from an XP machine.  More incomprehensibly, in a world where Search is king, is how such a terrible UI and poor exposed feature set was the end result. Just makes you wonder how this got out the door at all.

Chris H.
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Years after Google proved they could make a better company based on one thing, SEARCH, Microsoft still has its head up... well you know. It's incredible that something so fundamental has an absolutely horrible user experience. The Windows 7 search team should be ashamed! Search in Windows 7 is pathetic. (am I beating around the bush?)
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:41 AM