none
Task Pane app for Outlook 2013 (Office 365)

Question

• Hi,

Are you going to change/replace the old Custom Task Pane with possibility to add Map apps into it?

Thanks

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Ole

In Outlook 2013, the only place where you can have apps for Office is in the "App Pane" which is displayed above the message in the Reading Pane. It's currently not possible to add apps to Custom Task Panes in Outlook.

I should also clarify that maps are just one of the many possible uses for apps. The Office Store page for Outlook apps includes LinkedIn for Outlook, Hertz Rental Car, Groupon by PowerInbox, DocuSign Ink, and many more.

Thanks for the question!

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Monday, July 23, 2012 2:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ole K Monday, July 23, 2012 2:50 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Ole

In Outlook 2013, the only place where you can have apps for Office is in the "App Pane" which is displayed above the message in the Reading Pane. It's currently not possible to add apps to Custom Task Panes in Outlook.

I should also clarify that maps are just one of the many possible uses for apps. The Office Store page for Outlook apps includes LinkedIn for Outlook, Hertz Rental Car, Groupon by PowerInbox, DocuSign Ink, and many more.

Thanks for the question!

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Monday, July 23, 2012 2:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ole K Monday, July 23, 2012 2:50 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 4:35 PM
  • it is like it is... it answers the question but does not satisfy... would be nice to have at least the opportunity to use it same way like Task Pane apps in MS Word/Excel 2013...

Thanks
    Ole

Monday, July 23, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi Ole,

Your feedback on app type availability in Outlook is great and I will pass it on! Although we can't commit for specific deliverables, I would like you to know that we're planning on growing the apps for Office platform to enable more types of apps in more Office applications. It would be great if you could share more information on the type of app you are interested to build for Outlook (and Outlook Web App).

Thanks,

Hila

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Hi Ole,

Could you explain your scenario in a bit more detail?  Do you wish to display a map that is based on an address in a mail item?  Or do you have a different scenario in mind?  We did a lot of research with our Bing Maps App that ships out of the box with Outlook Web App and found that the position that was most easily discoverable for users and worked best in both Outlook and OWA conversations views was in the preview pane directly above the message body.  Unlike Word and Excel Outlook already has three columns of information and adding another vertical column with a taskpane creates a pretty busy  and cramped user experience.  These were the reasons we chose to invest in adding our UX in the mail form location as opposed to the taskpane.

Thanks!

Jason Henderson

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Jason,

I fully agree that Outlook does already have many columns in the GUI.

Currently we are using the Custom Task Pane to implement our own DMS.

We as BBC Chartering are focused on Websolutions. Thats why we would like to implement our CRM and DMS system into Outlook.

It is pretty nice to have MailApps in future to include "webpages" above the reading pane. I am already using it in our test Enviorment to show contact details from our CRM system as well.

But for our DMS solution I prefer a "big list" of folders to be shown in Outlook. This list stays same for each and every email item the user is selecting... So IMO it does not fit to an MailApp (because it is mostly based on an ITEM)

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the details Ole - can you describe how that list of folders you are showing is used by end users?  Do they move messages into those folders, or just browse those folders to find documents?  I'm trying to understand if you are using the taskpane as a convenient place to put content that isn't mail, but that users might need to see as they go about their business of replying to mails?

Jason Henderson

Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Jason,

in our current implementation the end user is moving/copying mail items into the folders. Of course they can  open these folders.

We are also planing to provide each folder with individual actions (all accessible from Outlook)

For Instance:

Level Folder name
    1. Root Folder (open main webpage)
    1.1 fist product (open product page for 'first product')
    1.2. second product (open product page for  'second product')
    1.2.1. communication (show relevant emails in outlook)
    1.2.2. details (open details page)

Friday, August 03, 2012 7:28 AM
  • I just hit this wall too.

I would like the possibility to add a pane to the calendar view. The use case here being to manage time reporting and project billing using the calendar view to select, possibly many, appointments to work with.

Friday, February 21, 2014 2:06 PM