none
What is the Best Programming language to learn.

General discussion

• After doing a bit of reading it seems a lot of teachers at all levels, school to university/college level, have observed that one of the most common questions a student asks is:

"What is the best programming language to learn?"

So far (as a nOOb for 4 months) I've learnt a more useful question to ask would be? "What do I need the language to do?"

Define and clarify your objective then select a language designed for that kind of task. You'll most likely go on to learn several languages suitable for different purposes (paradigms) and each one will become easier to learn as your experience builds. Practice = Experience.

e.g. if you want to code firmware for a new 3d TV or something like that then you might choose a language like C, as it is close to the hardware. But this kind of language requires at lot of skill and prior experience to code in.

So if your objective is to learn how to become a good programmer and you're new to the wonderful world of programming or returning after a considerable break, then it's wise to select a language designed specifically for that task.

Small basic is a high level and considerably powerful language simplified for that purpose. It is simplified and as a result makes the programmer work out ways of doing things that might otherwise be a feature in another language. It provides a good grounding for skills that you'll need to be a good programmer. Totally suitable for all ages.

nOOb Alert: If you don't agree with any of this or think is inaccurate in anyway pls reply. I've only been back into programming for 4 months, but this what I've read and now share.

Thanks for your replies. I think we share a common dream and have already seen how the Information Revolution has improved the living standard of so many people and has done so by diluting any inertia once the domain of age, language, culture and ability. All the best.

You have to have a dream so you can get up in the morning. - Billy Wilder

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:31 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You make a very good point that you should choose a language based on the task you are looking to accomplish. Even in the scope of .NET, there is some considerable variation between VB, C#, Visual C++, and F# --- they are all considered all-purpose languages, though you may use C# or VB for a simple document editor, Visual C++ for a DirectX-based game, or F# for something with a mathematic purpose or a program that uses lot of asynchronous tasks. More than a bit daunting even if you are not just staring out!

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Jibba Jabba,

I agree with your conclusions.

If you ask a programmer what languages are 'best' you wil almost always get the answer that is their favourite, which is the one they know best, which is the one they use most.  So all you get is an answer to the question 'What language to do you use most?'

My suggestion is to dabble in lots of different ones.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Jibba Jabba,

I think you just wrote a blog post for me. =^)

Want to be my guest blogger (AKA, I use your text here and link to this thread for discussion)?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:31 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Ed

Sure. No problem to the blog link. :) Thanks

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:59 AM
    Answerer
  • Following on from other threads, a sample of a Loop using Small Basic.

TextWindow.Title = "SB forum function loop"
    fun = "1=Helping out;2=More practice;3=Satisfaction"
    While "true"
      TextWindow.Write(fun[1] + " = ")
      TextWindow.Write(fun[2] + " = ")
      TextWindow.Write(fun[3] + " = ")
      Program.Delay(80)
    EndWhile

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:27 AM
    Answerer
  •  

You wrote this, just very well for me

I´m at the point  "...or returning after a considerable break"

May I translate your post to spanish and publish it in my blog ? obviously with your author name , and with this URL.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/thread/e22ddc96-a46c-4df6-a066-cef92f47ad30

Many thanks

carlosfmur - Buenos Aires

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:09 AM
  •  

If you are agree with the translation and blog publishing, should I use Rick Murphy or Jibba Jabba, as autor- name ?

Please tell me

Regards

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:18 AM
  • Hi Carlos, sure you can use it. Hope it helps your blog and your initiative to make more SB material available in Spanish.

Rick Murphy aka Jibba Jabba is ok for me. Thanks for asking.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:28 AM
    Answerer
  • Apart from the best general or task-specific languages,
    every programmer should also try to learn 1 or more languages
    which are more omnipresent for most devices!

JavaScript is hands-down that ubiquitous language,
    since any recent browser has built-in support for it!

And there's even a server option for JS through NodeJS!
    And consider that even Win8+ is using JS for its programs besides .NET!

I still dunno JS. But I am considering to learn an intermediary language
    such as CoffeeScript or Dart, which are compiled directly in JavaScript!

Also, there are some languages which are able to be converted into JS + API,
    like Processing/Java, which run in any browser as well.

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:44 AM
    Answerer
  •  Thanks Jibba (Rick)

Here you can see the translation of your article ( a very good article, for me)

In South America, million of persons speak/ understand Spanish as their tongle lenguaje, and a few, just only a few, manage English, fluently

Regards

http://empiezoinformatica.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/cual-es-el-mejor-lenguaje-de-programacion-para-aprender/

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:56 AM
  •  

Hello GoToLoop
    I always drove with MS Office in secondary schools (they may be future lawyers, doctors, engineers, who knows ?)
    One time I found a school that would give JavaScript
    With the help of a small tutorial (HTML + JavaScript) and working before school, I could finish the year, with short programas of no more than 10 instructions
    I feel not was easy, because when the program did not work  I did not realize why (is an interpreter, yes?)

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    var string1 = "This is the message that will";
    etc.

This was not easy or pleasant to us.
    For young adolescents are hieroglyphs. ...
    In my final school was me who decided the content (MS Office was always required)
    With FrontPage, made ​​them open the HTML tab and disliked. And I was
    write HTML the famous "Hello World", no more
    ActionScript also found it hard,  but the animations in Flash 8 they liked.
    In 2011 I discovered Small Basic. Easy and enjoyable for those guys who manage a very good English.
    The simple debugging. The editor also.

Itsn´t the aim of a regular school educate for professional programmers.
    Neither makes sense to teach them something that at the end of the school do not return to see
    For a high school in Argentina, achieved with Small Basic Introduction to programming

For those few who choose to engage in ICT, a brief passage by Small Basic is not bad, at    contrary.
    Best wishes

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:54 PM
  • It is enough for me a retired teacher and
    amateur programmer that wants to know Small Basic sportingly, devote to SB Curriculum
    and further will take a classroom course VB.NET
    Best Regards

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Without anyone feel affected
    The very short period in which I worked as a junior programmer enjoyed codingin Fortran IV, BASIC and APL
    Then for better wages I became an analyst for the sector "Banking and Finance" and finally sales man
    I made ​​money,but did not enjoyed

Now I´m enjoying Small Basic, and I get up in the morning eager to work  (  Like Billy Wilder said)

Regards

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:11 PM