none
Service 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService' not found (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio)

Question

• Installed SQL Server 2012 developer edition with SP1.  When SSMS is launched, the following error is immediately issued:

Service 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService' not found (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio)

After clicking OK, and trying to connect to a remote SQL 2012 box, the following error is issued:

Eventually, the application takes a hard crash and won't quit trying to load itself. 

I've tried reinstalling and repairing. 

Running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.  

How are these issues solved? 

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:31 PM

Answers

• Thank you Alberto for your super-fast responses and for your great insight. 

The problem was solved by upgrading an Add-in I was using (SQL Assistant). 

Thanks again for all your help! 

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:34 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would recommend you to install SQL Server 2012 Management Studio to manage a remote SQL Server 2012 server. Are you using a previous version of SQL Server Management Studio?  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:44 PM
  • I am running SQL Server 2012 SSMS and it does not work. 
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Hello,
    Could you please rename all DLL files on the following directories adding OLD to them and then try to repair SQL Server again on the machine where you are getting the SSMS errors?

\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.SqlStudio.dll

\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Controls.dll

\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions\Application\Actions.dll

\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions\Application\Explorer.dll

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Hello,

Another option may be uninstalling Management Studio only, and reinstalling it. Apply SP1 for SQL Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the good suggestion. 

1.  The two "Management" dll's were renamed to ".old".

2.  The two Extensions\Application dll's did not exist.  The only file in that folder is named C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions\Application\Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.pkgdef.

3.  Ran the "Repair" option of SQL Server 2012.

4.  The Extensions\Application dll's were returned and they are exact copies of the ".old" versions.

5.  The Extensions\Application folder contines to contain the single file identified above. 

6.  The SSMS 2012 errors continue to be issued. 

Friday, October 11, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Hello,

Another option may be uninstalling Management Studio only, and reinstalling it. Apply SP1 for SQL Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com
    Friday, October 11, 2013 2:27 AM
  • Thank you Alberto for your super-fast responses and for your great insight. 

The problem was solved by upgrading an Add-in I was using (SQL Assistant). 

Thanks again for all your help! 

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:34 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:34 PM