How do I uninstall DirectX 9c

Question

• I am having problem with a game and their tech support needs me to uninstall DirectX 9c and Reinstall it.

I have asked EA tech support on this on an earlier occasion and this was the reply I got.

1. Forget about it.
    2. Find a new hobby.
    3. Microsoft sucks so dont try to fix their stuff.
    4. The only problem is your brain, if you try to forget about it and find a new interest in life that does not involve this stupid DirectX, you will be OK.....

Now this seem like a very unproffesional respoce from a major company tech support, but they are allso only human, and MS have made things realy hard to grasp sometimes.

But every problem have a sollution, I just need to purge DirectX 9c from my system.

Can I get a howto on that?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:06 PM

Answers

•  

This is a question I see a little bit, but what you might want to do is just to reinstall over the top, this will repair the install. What you have to remember is that the directX system is updated at the moment every 2 months, So in that you should be able to grab the latest web installer and install from there.

Also this group is mainly for the development of Applications using the Microsoft Game development technologies. For general DirectX support you should try following the support links from the www.microsoft.com/directx site.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:50 PM

All replies

•  

This is a question I see a little bit, but what you might want to do is just to reinstall over the top, this will repair the install. What you have to remember is that the directX system is updated at the moment every 2 months, So in that you should be able to grab the latest web installer and install from there.

Also this group is mainly for the development of Applications using the Microsoft Game development technologies. For general DirectX support you should try following the support links from the www.microsoft.com/directx site.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:50 PM
  • I know that a reinstall is surposed to replace bad files and stuff, but if the installer does not detect a bad file it will not replace it. That is the weakness of reinstalling. Besides I don't trust MS that much, thay have had a fair share of bugs over the years... :o) I should know, I have tested and used windows since the 0.1 beta release. How I got hold of it I don't know, but I still have the original floppy disk somewhere.  ;p

I need to purge DirectX from my system entirely. And I just want to do that without having to reformat my harddrive. I finaly got my system set up the way I want it and I do not desire to start all over again... :(

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:30 PM
  • The only way to remove DirectX from your system is to use a windows restore point in System restore or wipe and remove the OS.

I'm not sure of the technical reasons why but Microsoft do not provide any uninstall for the DirectX runtime (though there is an uninstall for the SDK in add/remove programs).

If you search you may find programs that claim to remove Direct however they are unsupported and you use them at your own risk. We have seen folk in these forums whose machines are never quite the same again after using them.

The really sad thing here is that DirectX has not had an installer for as long as I can remember and a big company like EA should know that.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:06 PM