none
VB6 program runs fine in Windows 8, but won't start from STARTUP

Question

• I have, for many years and many versions of Windows, run a Visual Basic 6 program that I authored, called REMINDER. The installation file puts a shortcut to the main program in the STARTUP section of the operating system, and this has always (until Windows 8) caused the program to run at boot. This no longer happens, nor does it start when setup to in Task Manager or Jit Scheduler, which it always did before. HOWEVER, if I manually use its shortcut or the .exe file listing to start the program, it runs flawlessly! What in heck is going on?

Old and slow, but love VB

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:34 AM

All replies

• I have, for many years and many versions of Windows, run a Visual Basic 6 program that I authored, called REMINDER. The installation file puts a shortcut to the main program in the STARTUP section of the operating system, and this has always (until Windows 8) caused the program to run at boot. This no longer happens, nor does it start when setup to in Task Manager or Jit Scheduler, which it always did before. HOWEVER, if I manually use its shortcut or the .exe file listing to start the program, it runs flawlessly! What in heck is going on?

Old and slow, but love VB

Do you need a link to a VB6 and earlier forum or a Windows 8 forum?

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:52 AM
  • I've encountered similar problems with version 8.1. Try starting the program automatically at login with the task scheduler.

By the way this forum does not support VB6. It's not our job to support dead languages.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:53 AM

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b/where-to-post-your-vb-6-questions?forum=vbgeneral

Har, 

That sticky is so old that almost not any link in it does run. Everything in it is far before the time of Windows 8 so let's us forget it. It seems that it stays because of marketing reasons.

Any support for VB6 by Microsoft has in fact dyed with the first version of Windows 7. Let us not be angry about that, Microsoft warns for that more then a decade. 

Success
    Cor

Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Try the enduser forums, because you wrote the program runs flawlessly so this is not a program problem

http://answers.microsoft.com

Success
    Cor

• Proposed as answer by Moataz Tamawy Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:57 PM
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:25 AM
  • I disagree Cor. The security (of course) has been tightened yet more for 8.1 so it could indeed could be a programming problem but that does not make this a VB6 forum or VB6 a supported language.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:44 PM
  • I've reached a fine solution to make vb6 programms run at win8 startup

mail me at

tamawy@gmail.com

its true - for the love of GOD.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:58 PM
  • I've reached a fine solution to make vb6 programms run at win8 startup

mail me at

tamawy@gmail.com

its true - for the love of GOD.

Hi,

It would probably be better if you posted the solution here or put it in a Zip folder and place it on your SkyDrive and post a link. Posing your email address on a public forum is really not a good idea. You may get 1000 emails asking you for the solution or maybe worse.   :)

Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

Since VB6 product is not supported in this forum, you may go to these forums for support:

#Where to post your VB 6 questions
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b/where-to-post-your-vb-6-questions

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Franklin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:47 AM