none
Have a user but still getting '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission error

Question

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 Express on a Windows XP Pro machine. 3/4 through the installation, it fails with an error '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission
    . I had followed the instruction from here:
    http://www.sql-articles.com/index.php?page=articles/SQL2008/ins_2008.html

I specified a valid Windows user (in admin group) and password and clicked on the button to use the same user for all sql server services. I didn't see any entry in that screen with an empty username.

Why am I getting this error and if I have a blank user defined somewhere, why doesn't the installer make sure such a user doesn't exist?

abdu
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:42 PM

All replies

• The post below gave me the solution. I had to install it using the administrator account. Using my everyday account which is a user in the administrators group didn't work. I don't know why but it's an annoying bug that costed me hours doing several installs/uninstalls/reboots and sifting through a lot of install log files.

I hope others don't have to go through this.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3750336&SiteID=1
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:30 AM
  • For this issue Please verify that your Computer name and Username should not be same.

If your computer name and username is same then try to change the Computer name or username.

Then again reinstall that will resolve your issue.

• Proposed as answer by Ronak Panchal Friday, November 18, 2011 10:46 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Oh maaaaaaaaaan!!!!! This works!!!!!! Thank you sooo much. It was been soooo painlesss!!!! God bless you!!
    Friday, June 01, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Thanks dear
    Monday, June 18, 2012 12:16 PM
  • For this issue Please verify that your Computer name and Username should not be same.

If your computer name and username is same then try to change the Computer name or username.

Then again reinstall that will resolve your issue.

Awesome solution Ronak. Thanks. The same issue happened in my system before in Windows 8.1 and its been resolved. Thank you.
    Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:24 PM