none
Migrate a Single node clustered SQL SharePoint 2010 farm to an un-clustered single node SQL VM (VMware)

Question

• Silly as it sounds, we have a SQL2008r2 Clustered SharePoint farm with only one node. We did intend to have 2 nodes but due to costs and other projects taking priority it was left as is.

We have decided to virtualise the Database server (to be SQL2008r2 un-clustered) to take advantage of VMware H/A etc.

Our current setup is

shareclus   = cluster (1 node – sharedb (SharePoint database server))

shareapp1 = application server (LB)

shareapp2  =  application server (LB)

shareweb1  =  WFE (LB)

shareweb2  = WFE (LB)

and would like to go to

sharedb01vm = SharePoint Database server

shareapp1 = application server (LB)

shareapp2  =  application server (LB)

shareweb1  =  WFE (LB)

shareweb2  = WFE (LB)

So at the moment the database is referenced in Central Addministration as shareclus. If I break the cluster, shareclus will not exist so I don’t think I will be able to use aliases(?) but I’m not sure.

Can anyone help? Has anyone done this before? Any tips/advice to migrate or otherwise get the SQL DB virtualised would be greatly received.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:38 AM

Answers

• I havent done this specifically with sharepoint, but I dont think it will be any different.

Basically you build the new VM with the name sharedb01vm. Now when you are doing the cut-over, ie when you are basically moving all the databases, you rename the servers.. ie the new VM will be renamed as Shareclus and the old cluster can be named anything you like .

At this point the sharepoint server should point to the new VM where you have already migrated the db's.

Another option is to create a Alias in the sharepoint server "shareclus" to point to sharedb01vm.

I have seen both of this in different environments but I bascially dont prefer the Alias option as it creates confusion to people who dont know this.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:15 AM

All replies

• I havent done this specifically with sharepoint, but I dont think it will be any different.

Basically you build the new VM with the name sharedb01vm. Now when you are doing the cut-over, ie when you are basically moving all the databases, you rename the servers.. ie the new VM will be renamed as Shareclus and the old cluster can be named anything you like .

At this point the sharepoint server should point to the new VM where you have already migrated the db's.

Another option is to create a Alias in the sharepoint server "shareclus" to point to sharedb01vm.

I have seen both of this in different environments but I bascially dont prefer the Alias option as it creates confusion to people who dont know this.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Great, Thank you for your reply
    Friday, August 29, 2014 8:28 AM