none
SSRS Reports

Question

• Hi,

Can I execute SSRS report with one parameter being disabled?

My case is like I need to display parameter values based on previous parameter. I came up with a workaround to ensure my final parameter is disabled if a value from previous parameter. But when report parameter is disabled report is not executing and nothing happens when i click View Report button.

Thanks,

Paddy

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Paddy,

In your scenario, the parameters are used in the dataset and you disable one of the parameters in some particular condition, right? In this case, I am afraid the report can no be executed because of the parameter was used in the dataset. You cannot execute the report without change the dataset difinition. One way to workaround this is leave the parameter as blank instead of disable it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Paddy Paddy Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:24 AM

All replies

• Perhaps  you need to specify defaults or accepting NULLs for those parameters that could be disabled.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:54 AM
  • Ya But this parameter will never be enabled to get the property of Null of Default.

Hence I am not able to execute a report by keeping a parameter disabled.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:36 AM
  • You cannot really "disable" parameters based on other parameters.  All you can do is add a "N/A - Not applicable" item to your list of available values, and possibly make that the default as well.  And you will need to take that into account in any dataset that uses this parameter.

MCITP SQL Server 2008 (BI & DEV); MCTS SQL Server 2008 (BI, DEV & DBA)
    Check out my articles at BI: Beer Intelligence?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Yes Valentino, I agree on that. Because i too feel the same and moreover there is no workaround suggested.Actually I made a workaround to disable the value. But I can't execute with one param disabled.

Thanks,

Paddy

• Edited by Paddy Paddy Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:10 AM added
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi Paddy,

In your scenario, the parameters are used in the dataset and you disable one of the parameters in some particular condition, right? In this case, I am afraid the report can no be executed because of the parameter was used in the dataset. You cannot execute the report without change the dataset difinition. One way to workaround this is leave the parameter as blank instead of disable it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Paddy Paddy Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:24 AM