Discuss and provide feedback on Debugger Canvas, a new user experience for the debugger in Visual Studio Ultimate. It pulls together the code you’re exploring onto a single pan-and-zoom display. As you hit breakpoints or step into code, Debugger Canvas shows just the methods that you’re debugging, with call lines and local variables, to help you see the bigger picture.
Debugger Canvas 1.1 is Released!Kael RowanMicrosoft EmployeeTuesday, January 31, 2012 6:40 PM
Hi everyone, we are pleased to announce the release of Debugger Canvas version 1.1. This version includes a number of bug fixes, new features, and improves performance. Some of the new features are:
- Easily turn Debugger Canvas on or off, even in the middle of a debug session.
- Quickly navigate up and down the call stack in the canvas using the keyboard or the mouse.
- See Multiple threads together on the canvas, each thread identified by its color.
- See recursive calls side by side.
- The option to edit code directly in the code bubbles is enabled by default.
This last "feature" is actually nothing new. You could always edit code directly in bubbles by checking the checkbox in Tools -> Options, but some users didn't know that option existed so we frequently heard the feedback that you wished you could edit code directly in the bubbles. This time we just simply enable that feature by default if you're installing Debugger Canvas for the first time.
To install this updated version of Debugger Canvas you must uninstall the previous version of Debugger Canvas first. (Or install QFE 2581019 from http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=38654 before installing the update.) This is because Visual Studio 2010 SP1 has a bug which prevents signed VSIXes from being updated. I will also post a sticky thread in the forum since I'm sure many of you will attempt to install version 1.1 on top of 1.0 without reading the instructions first. I would do the same thing! :)
You can read more about the new version and read the updated guide from the usual home page here:
Or you can skip straight to the download and get the VSIX directly from here:
Thanks to everyone for their continued support and we sincerely hope you enjoy Debugger Canvas version 1.1!
Debugger Canvas Available for Download!Kael RowanMicrosoft EmployeeMonday, June 13, 2011 8:09 PM
I’m pleased to announce that Debugger Canvas is available for download! You can access the link from the Debugger Canvas DevLabs page at:
or download it directly from
If you don't have Visual Studio Ultimate then you can download the trial from
or download a Virtual Machine with Visual Studio Ultimate pre-installed from
Please give us your feedback and ask lots of questions on this forum by clicking the "Ask a Question" link above. Thanks!
Welcome to the Debugger Canvas forum!Jens Jacobsen [MSFT] Monday, June 13, 2011 9:01 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Debugger Canvas forum!
Please use the forum to share questions, comments, ideas and bugs as you use Debugger Canvas. We're eager to hear about your experiences, so that we can improve the tool and understand how this user experience works in real life situations.
So please click the Ask a question link above, and let us hear from you!
The Debugger Canvas team
Jens, Kael, Rob, Andrew
Filtering and SortingUse these options to narrow down the question and discussion list.
- 649703Kael RowanMicrosoft EmployeeMonday, June 13, 2011 7:52 PM
- 03079Kael RowanMicrosoft EmployeeTuesday, January 31, 2012 6:47 PM
- 3112pNestingen Friday, May 03, 2013 5:27 PM
- 0180engloon Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:37 AM
- 85707rht341 Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:43 PM
- 12064Jørgen Thyme Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:58 AM
- 1500BrDaHa Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:56 AM
- 24740gabeg3461 Friday, September 02, 2011 2:04 PM
- 53804Jonny Garrett Friday, August 24, 2012 11:03 AM
- 52532AccessIT Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:15 AM
- 01374Kostas0 Monday, October 08, 2012 3:11 PM
- 02461john cab 282 Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:09 PM
- 01949GhibliCricket Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:23 PM
- 24740Kevin Earley Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:09 PM
- 137891Brian P. Chappell Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:31 AM
- 01797John Ludlow Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:46 AM
- 02644Dinis Cruz Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:52 AM
- 43826Kevin gwMMIX Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:43 AM
- 24025George.St Monday, April 09, 2012 7:40 PM
- 03061T S R Murthy Monday, April 30, 2012 6:40 PM
- 13329Andrew Miller - WI Friday, March 30, 2012 3:18 PM
- 113403Carl Daniel Tuesday, February 07, 2012 10:50 PM