none
Business intelligence development studio 2010 download

Answers

• It's included at least in SQL Server Express 2008 R2 with Advanced Services and SQL Server 2012 with Advanced Services. But what I'm not sure is whether or not this is same Business Intelligent Development Studio that comes with full SQL Server editions or somekind of an "Express" edition.

See screenshot from 2008 R2 with AS feature selection in installation.

SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup Feature Selection

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:49 AM

All replies

• You can get it for example with the SQL Server Express 2008/2012 with Advanced Services edition or on full SQL server installation Express edition with Advanced services contains addins for it to Visual Studio, but I'm not sure do you have to have Visual Studio 2008 or later installed.

• Edited by MasaSam Friday, December 14, 2012 11:08 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Are you sure the SQL Server Express 2008/2012 with Advanced Services edition is equipped with Business intelligence development studio inside?

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hi HuaMin Chen,

As this article said: "BIDS is included with SQL Server.  It is installed when you select client tools during the SQL Server installation."

You can also check below thread:

New to Business Intelligence Development Studio

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlgetstarted/thread/ac98a27f-7ceb-40d1-b411-176908b73884

Good day.

Bob Shen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by CoolDadTxMVP Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:36 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 6:22 AM
  • It's included at least in SQL Server Express 2008 R2 with Advanced Services and SQL Server 2012 with Advanced Services. But what I'm not sure is whether or not this is same Business Intelligent Development Studio that comes with full SQL Server editions or somekind of an "Express" edition.

See screenshot from 2008 R2 with AS feature selection in installation.

SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup Feature Selection

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Thanks all. Can you please advise me if this

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard (x86, x64, ia64) - DVD (English)

is having Business intelligence development studio 2010 inside or not?

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Yes it does.
    • Proposed as answer by CoolDadTxMVP Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Sorry, I don't see the relevant option to start the setup of "Business intelligence development studio 2010" inside that?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Any advice?

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Hi HuaMin,

I'd like to move this thread to SQL Server Reporting Services Forum for better support, where more experts live.

Thanks for your understanding.

Bob Shen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Hi HuaMin,

The Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) are only shipped with specific edtions of SQL Server. From the "Development Tools" section of the article Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2008 R2, we can see the r 2008 R2 Standard Edtion supports the BIDS. If the BIDS is not available when you click Start -> All Programs -> SQL Server 2008 R2, please following the steps in the following article to add the BDIS which is listed in the shared feature to the existing SSRS instance:
    How to: Add Features to an Instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 (Setup)

If the BIDS is not listed in the Shared Features list, please double check your SQL Server 2008 R2 Edtion on the DVD.  

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Thanks. I really don't know which is the option below to setup BI

and I searched the DVD and also did not find out the one for BI.

Friday, December 21, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Hello Hua Min,

It's the same installer as you use to install a SQL Server; the only difference is, you select only BIDS and deselect all other features; see screenshot of MasaSam.

BTW, there exists not BIDS 2010. The BIDS version belongs always to the SQL Server version, so we have BIDS 2005, 2008 and 2008R2. With 2012 BIDS changed to SSDT = SQL Server Data Tools.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Thanks a lot. How can I select only BIDS and deselect all other features? Where is the screenshot?

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Please have a look at the 5th post, the one from MasSam, there is a screenshot "Feature Selection" where BIDS is marked.

If someone takes the time to answer, you should also take the time to read the answer, please.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:21 AM
  • You select to install SQL server new installation and then in screen where you select features, see screenshot in my previous post, you remove all other than "Business Intelligent Development Studio" and you will install only BIDS.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Friday, December 21, 2012 7:13 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Sorry Masa,
    I here run Setup again as I've set up SS2008 R2. But I now only get this and do not see your screenshot to choose that.

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Sorry Masa,
    I here run Setup again as I've set up SS2008 R2. But I now only get this and do not see your screenshot to choose that.

The dialog "Feature Selection" comes later in the setup wizard; this screen shown the prequisition. Click on "Install" and follow the wizard.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:16 AM
  • The installation setup needs to install those support files first. After that you get the real installation selection screens and that includes the feature selection screen. Leave check mark only to "Business Intelligent Development Studio" and continue installation.

This has been always little bit weird I think. I don't know whether or not installing just BIDS requires those setup files. For sometime I have been hoping that next version of SQL server installation would separate server installation and those shared feature installations, like documentation and BIDS, that does not require the server itself.

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Hi HuaMin,

The SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition supports the Business Intelligence Development Studio shared feature. To install the BIDS feature, please click the "Installation" tab in the left pane of the SQL Server Installation Center window, and then click "New installation or add features to an existing installation". Please see the screenshot below:

In addition to the How to: Add Features to an Instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 (Setup) article, you can also refer to following blog to add the BIDS feature to an existing SQL Server installation:

Installing(Adding) feature(SSRS) to an existing SQL Installation

Regards,

James

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:10 AM
  • godddd... i would have given you a million helpful votes if i could for this. i was searching in the VS 2008,2010, 2012 all the time until now. that was soo dumb of me.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:58 PM
  • will i be able to use VS 2012/2010 to write a report using SSRS by doing this procedure? or do i have to make any configuration changes in the installation?
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Apparently SSDT is available for Visual Studio 2010 as an add-on

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027

But after installation I don't see anything similar to BIDS showing up in VS2010 like it used to show up in VS2008 by installing BIDS.

Why on earth Microsoft Layout is so confusing... for God sake they are the ones who should be consitant with naming and all...

I have to continue the project for an older employee who did BIDS reports on VS2008 and I am lost as a blind in the NY traffic... There is SQL with BIDS. VS with BIDS, SSDT, SSDT with BI, SQL 2012 BI version... Maybe somebody should sit down and draw a map for this and tell us if there are any connection between these having the same name ...

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Apparently SSDT is available for Visual Studio 2010 as an add-on

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027

But after installation I don't see anything similar to BIDS showing up in VS2010 like it used to show up in VS2008 by installing BIDS.

Why on earth Microsoft Layout is so confusing... for God sake they are the ones who should be consitant with naming and all...

I have to continue the project for an older employee who did BIDS reports on VS2008 and I am lost as a blind in the NY traffic... There is SQL with BIDS. VS with BIDS, SSDT, SSDT with BI, SQL 2012 BI version... Maybe somebody should sit down and draw a map for this and tell us if there are any connection between these having the same name ...

BIDS is not used anymore in VS2010. Now it's called SSDT (Sql Server Data Tools) and it's included in the SQL Server 2012. It you want to use the equivalent BIDS in VS2010 for a Intelligence Service development enviroment you'll need:

-VS2010 updated to SP1

-SQL Server 2012 SSDT and administration tools (complete) or download the SSDT for VS2010 from the Microsoft site (it's free)

And voilá, once you open VS2010 and create a new project you should see the Business Intelligent Integration Services.

Hope this helps.

Fernando
    • Proposed as answer by SGSO Systems Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:23 PM