VS2008 SP1 Beta fails to add "new item - ADO.NET Entity Data Model" Item Template

Question

•  

Hi,

having installed SP1 Beta onto my VS Team Suite, I can't find any references whatoever to the Entity Data Model features; not when creating a new project, not when trying to add items.

Many thanks for any assistance,

Best regards,

Christof

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:56 AM

All replies

• Hi! Christof,

I'm wondering if this is an installation problem of some sort. Assuming you have successfully installed SP1 beta, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you see the ADO.NET Entity Data Model in the list of items when you "Add...New...Item" in a project?

2. Can you find the following files on disk:

EF runtime files:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\EdmGen.exe

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Build.Tasks.dll

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Data.Entity.targets

%programfiles%\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.Entity.dll

%programfiles%\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.Entity.Design.dll

And also in the GAC:

gacutil /l System.Data.Entity

gacutil /l System.Data.Entity.Design

Entity Designer files:

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.EntityDesigner.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Tools.XmlDesignerBase.dll

Item templates

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelVB.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp_ASPNET.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelVB_ASPNET.zip

Regards,

Sanjay

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Hi! Christof,

Here's one more thing to check:

Per Scott Guthrie’s post, did you have VS 2008 Tools for Silverlight 2 Beta1 installed on your machine prior to installing VS 2008 SP1 beta? If so, can you follow the following instructions from the SP1 beta ReadMe:

2) If you have installed the VS 2008 Tools for Silverlight 2 Beta1 package on your machine, you must uninstall it - as well as uninstall the KB949325 update for VS 2008 - before installing VS 2008 SP1 Beta (otherwise you will get a setup failure).  You can find more details on the exact steps to follow here (note: you must uninstall two separate things).  It is fine to have the Silverlight 2 runtime on your machine with .NET 3.5 SP1 - the component that needs to be uninstalled is the VS 2008 Tools for Silverlight 2 package.  We will release an updated VS 2008 Tools for Silverlight package in a few weeks that works with the VS 2008 SP1 beta.

Regards,

Sanjay

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:55 PM
  • I have the same problem and I followed the instructions and uninstalled Silverlight Tools and KB949325 before installing SP1. To answer your file questions, green highlights mean I have the file, red means they're missing.

Any suggestions? FYI I successfully installed on my other machine and everything's working fine there.

Cheers,

Drew

EF runtime files:

%programfiles%\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.Entity.dll

%programfiles%\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.Entity.Design.dll

And also in the GAC:

Entity Designer files:

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.EntityDesigner.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Tools.XmlDesignerBase.dll

Item templates

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelVB.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp_ASPNET.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelVB_ASPNET.zip

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:03 AM
  •  

I have exactly the same problems. The files in red are also not on my machine. Is there a workaround or any howto would be very helpful.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

I experience the same problems, but I have the *.targets and Tasks.dll in %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\

I'm running Vista SP1 64-bit, and I had both the Silverlight tools and the former ADO.NET Entity Framework Beta (3) installed before I installed the VS2008/.NET 3.5 SP1 beta.

Regards,

Lars Wilhelmsen

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:52 PM
  • I am also having this issue. I had Silverlight Tools and ASP.NET 3.5 CTP installed when I first installed SP1 Beta, but I have since uninstalled everything except Visual Studio, reinstalled .NET 3.5, reinstalled SP1 beta, but still no template. I'm also missing the entity designer files from \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Same issue.  Running Vista 32-bit.  The template was available pre-SP1 using EF Beta 3 and EF Tool CTP.   After both were uninstalled (along with Silverlight 2 Beta) and SP1 was installed, the template is not available.  I was able to uninstall 3.5 SP1 Beta and Visual Studio SP1 Beta and reinstall EF Beta 3 and the template was visible.   But no templates after installing SP1.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Same issue here. Here is what I did:

I have installed Entity Framework beta3 before. Now, I uninstalled it and installed SP1 on my machine with xp with sp2. The installation of visual studio SP1 beta went all the way and only failed on VS portion (.net framework is installed etc) citing KB944899 hotfix must be uninstalled. I did not find that in my Add/Remove programs. So I manually deleted all the related registry keys with that KB number (after seeing other people do it). After that the installation went smothly and I rebooted at the end of installation as suggested by the installer.

Here is my file find list (green: found; red:not found):

EF runtime files:

And also in the GAC:

Entity Designer files:

Item templates

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:24 AM
  • As there are many people having the problem/challenge would it be possible to give us some guidance how to solve the issue? What would be the next step? Uninstall SP1 and VS2008?

or could someone give us the missing files and we put them to the appropriate locations and put them in the GAC if necessary?

Any guidance would save me some time. I'd love to work with EF and ADO.net data services as this is great stuff and exactly the reason I installed SP1.

Kind Regards

Mario

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:59 AM
  •  

the trouble is that EF has to be installed BEFORE .NET 3.5 SP1

i had the same problem so i uninstalled .NET 3.5 SP1, instaled .NET 3.5, then EF and then .NET 3.5 SP1

i hope time of installation of VS 2008 SP1 has no effect

and yes it makes no sense Smile

Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:05 PM
  • Do to not initially reading the Install Readme thoroughly, I had to completely uninstall VS2008 SP1 and reinstall it.  After doing this I could not get the Entity Framework designer files anymore in VS2008.  I exactly followed the uninstall instructions in the VS 2008 SP1 readme (including doing a Repair/install of VS2008 after the uninstall) and rebooted my machine before attempting to do the reinstall.  The reinstall Log file appeared to contain no error messages and the message I did receive was that the install was successfull.  Yet, I have the exact same file situation as R Raghu.

I would love to attach my log for Microsoft to look at, however it is quite large and there does not seem to be anyway to attach a file on this forum.  It does contain some failures on a second and more thorough look through it.  Perhaps there is something in there that can clue MS into why the installer sometimes fails to install the Entity Framework designers.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:53 PM
  • This did not work for me sorry. I thought that EF and ADO.net data services are part of VS2008 SP1  and I would expect them to be installed with the SP1.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:53 PM
  •  MarioBR wrote:

This did not work for me sorry. I thought that EF and ADO.net data services are part of VS2008 SP1  and I would expect them to be installed with the SP1.

I agree, or at least instruct user to uninstall

ADO.NET Entity Framework Beta 3

and ADO_net EFToolsDecCTP

which included:

Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.dll

Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.EntityDesigner.dll

Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.dll

Microsoft.Data.Tools.XmlDesignerBase.dll

However, 

ADO.NET Data Services Framework

which includes RESTful services etc. works after SP1 beta.

There weren't any instructions to unload any of these that I saw.

Urig

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi Christof,

I've had same problem on Vista RTM machine. I resolved it by installing Vista SP1 and running VS2008 SP1 again.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 9:42 AM
  • I've had same problem on Vista RTM sp1 + VS2008 + VS008 sp1. How can we solve?

Friday, May 16, 2008 2:20 PM
  • I turned the setup again and it solved.

thanks!

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Folks,

We’ve received reports from a few users about 3 different kinds of setup problems while installing VS 2008 SP1 beta. While I apologize for the inconvenience, here are some suggestions for you to try as we continue to investigate the problems.

Problem #1: VS 2008 SP1 beta setup fails during install

Please try the following if you experience this issue:

1.       Please read the VS 2008 SP1 beta ReadMe thoroughly

2.       Please read Scott Guthrie’s blog for known issues with VS 2008 SP1 beta setup

3.       Some general guidelines to follow before you install  VS 2008 SP1 beta:

a.       Install Vista SP1 if running on Vista

b.      Uninstall the VS 2008 Tools for Silverlight 2 Beta1 package and KB949325 update for VS 2008. More details here: http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2008/05/12/error-installing-visual-studio-2008-sp1-beta-and-silverlight-tools-beta-1.aspx

4.       If you still have problems then try the following:

a.       Uninstall VS 2008 completely and all its relative installs: updates KB, SP1 Beta, old EF versions, ASP.Net 3.5 extension CTP, etc.

b.      Reinstall VS 2008

c.       Then install VS 2008 SP1 beta

Problem #2: VS 2008 SP1 beta setup succeeds and the ADO.NET Entity Designer appears to be installed but causes errors in VS

A few users have reported that VS 2008 SP1 beta installed successfully and the ADO.NET Entity Framework runtime and the ADO.NET Entity Designer also appear to be installed. However, opening an existing EDMX file or generating a model from a database causes Visual Studio to display an error window.

1.       First, follow the guidance described in problem #1

2.       Uninstall the ADO.NET Entity Framework beta 2 (Dec 2007 release)

3.       Uninstall the ADO.NET Entity Framework Tools CTP2  (Dec 2007 release)

4.       Uninstall previous CTPs (e.g. ASP.Net 3.5 extension CTP, Astoria CTP, etc)

5.       Reinstall VS 2008 SP1 beta

If you still experience this problem then follow the guidance described in problem #3

Problem #3: VS 2008 SP1 beta setup succeeds but the ADO.NET Entity Designer binaries and item templates are missing

A few users have reported that VS 2008 SP1 beta installed successfully but the MSBUILD tasks, targets, the ADO.NET Entity Designer binaries and item templates are missing and the ADO.NET Entity Data Model item template is not available in the Add New Item dialog. The ADO.NET Entity Framework runtime binaries are installed correctly though.

1.       First, follow the guidance described in problem #1

2.       Follow instructions to download and run the VS 2008 SP1 setup log collection tool from Heath Stewart’s blog

3.       File an issue at Visual Studio on Microsoft Connect

4.       Upload your setup log files when you file the issue

5.       As another point of reference, Aaron Stebner’s blog has lots of information on setup log files produced by VS 2008

Please let me know if you get this working and also report other issues you run into. Thanks for taking the time to enhance our product.

Regards,

Sanjay

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Sanjay,

The link terminology ("the old collect.exe") in Heath Stewart's blog is confusing. I suggest going directly to Aaron Stebner's blog, which is the source for Collect.exe.

--rj

P.S. I'm in Group three, as is Mike Taulty. I'm trying his approach: Remove VS 2008 RTM and start over from scratch: VS 2008 Service Pack 1 - Docs and Installation.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Thank you Sanjay, even it was a time consuming experience - I can now work with the expected features.

Mario

Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  

I'm having the same problem.

I installed VS2008 in D:\VS2008

Could this problem be related to Visual Studio 2008 NOT being installed in the default %Program Files%\Visual Studio 9.0 directory?

I see this directory name everywhere people are reporting the problem, but when people uninstall VS2008 and reinstall using the defaults, it seems that everything works fine.

Just a thought...

Thanks

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:46 PM
  • I figured it out.

I needed to remove KB946581 and then reinstalled SP1 Beta and it worked!

KB946581 is a "A cumulative update for Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Web Developer Express 2008"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946581

And it also looks like SP1 Beta reinstalls KB946581 for you.

I hope this helps others. 

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:39 PM
  •  

im also having this problem om ny vista (sp1) machine

install went perfectly smooth on my xp sp3 box thoughSmile im going to try and reinstall sp1 and see if that helps

great work on sp1 anyways Smile edm is awsome Smile in only msql could get thir provider going Stick out tongue (thats what we use at work, dont blame me, i wanted sql server :/ )

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

I had EF Beta 3 installed prior to installing SP1 Beta, and the following files have not been updated:

Entity Designer files:

These files are dated 26 Nov 2007.  As a result, the designer is broken.

Regards,

Matt

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:58 AM
  • Hi Urig,

Can you please give us a step by step of how you successfully managed to install VS 2008 SP1 and start playing with ADO.Net DataServices and Restful services etc...

And everyone is having problems gettings template files into the Template folder ... becoz that not happening with Visual studio SP1 ... what did you installed other then

1- Visual studio 2008

2- Framework 3.5 Sp1

3- VS2008 SP1

if you have installed some EF files which ones .... ?? Your support will be highly appreciated

thanks

Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Be sure to install the ADO.NET CTP in order to get the missing files.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D8AE4404-8E05-41FC-94C8-C73D9E238F82&displaylang=en

HTH

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:19 PM
  • I am having the same issue as many others in this thread - that is, the ADO.NET Entity Model is missing from the list of available items after installing SP1.  Prior to installing SP1, I removed the Entity Framework (Beta 3), Entity Framework Tools, and Silverlight.  The only hotfix I had previously installed was for KB945282, and I could not remove this as it did not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list.

I checked my folders, and all of the EF designer files were missing (the EF files themselves were present).  I copied these into the appropriate directory from another PC on the network (which has VS2008 SP1 installed and is working correctly), but this didn't resolve the issue.  Do I need to add some registry keys as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 9:36 PM
  •  

Help for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 users

(Optional or if you have problems) Review the post by Sanjay Nagamangalam from page 1.

Verify the Entity Framework template is installed and working

Make a new Windows Forms Application Project.

1, Right click on the Project Name

2. Click Add New Item

3. You should see ADO.NET Entity Data Model

Update your EXISTING Projects

Now what about your EXISTING projects?  Why is it missing?  Simple, the framework version for your existing projects is probably not .NET Framework 3.5.   To change this do the following.

1. Load your existing project

2. Right click on the Project Name

3. Click Properties

4. Click the Compile tab

5. Click the Advanced Compile Options... button.

6. Change the drop down Target framework (all configurations): to .NET Framework 3.5

7. Click OK

8. Right click on the Project name

9. Click Add new item

10. You should see ADO.NET Entity Data Model in the Visual Studio installed templates.

Comments

I started with an existing project and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.  After seeing that the template was installed from this forum thread, I realized it must be something with my Project type.  So I made a new project and viola the EF template was there. Then, I tried to add any missing references from the new project to the old project, getting the Framework version not supported.  Thus, realizing that I needed to update my existing project's framework version from 2.0 to 3.5.

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I also had the same problem. I was working on ASP.NET MVC using Vs 2008 and C#. I was working with this tutorials http://www.asp.net/learn/mvc/tutorial-21-cs.aspx. I was unable to find ADO.NET Entity data Model. I searched lot of forums and to be frank I didnot understand what they were saying especially people who said they solved the problem. I did what ever they said and it was useless. Just on trail and error basis I did one simple thing that solved my problem

I went to this site http://www.asp.net/mvc/download/ and Install the ASP.NET MVC Framework using the Web Platform Installer . Thats all, installing that solved my problem. I was able to develop my tutorial application and all other applications.

Thanks,

Gopala
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:29 PM