none
No mapping between account IDs and security was done

Question

• I upgraded to Windows 8.1, it blew up my SQL Server Developer installation. So I traveled 400 miles to get my DVD and reinstall SQl Server. I saw on th eforum that several people had similar problems and they said selecting the repair option of the installation would fix it. So I tried but I can't get past the "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done" error.

I suspected the login to be the issue from the beginning because the *&$%^$ Windows 8.1 update forced me to enter a new password as it didn't find my old one acceptable. Problem is, it didn't update it everywhere and I can't find where to change it for SQL Server in this worthless version of an operating system.

I can't find the login for SQL Server in the the computer services anymore, it's gone from there. I used to be able to go in and manually start the service and change the password. But that great 8.1 update wiped all of that out and left me sitting high and dry.

Does anyone know of a solution? I need to finish this project and my hands are tied at this point.

• Edited by jim denny Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:30 AM
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:10 AM

All replies

• Unless you used your own Windows user as the service account for SQL Server, the password change should not matter.

You talk about "Computer services". The place where to make changes to the SQL Server services is the SQL Server Configuration Manager.

You say that the SQL Server installation blew up. Is SQL Server not running (you can check this in the Configuration Manager) at all, or is the problem that you cannot log in?

I was considering to update a small netbook that has Windows 8 to 8.1 the other day, but to get the "free" update, I was told to go the Microsoft Store. I did that the other day from my Surface RT and that was highly unpleasant as it hi-jacked by user id and replaced with a Microsoft account. So I am not making that mistake again. I looked at getting Windows 8.1 from MSDN, but then decided it's not worth it for a machine I only use for vacation trips. (All machines that I use for serious work do of course run Windows 7.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:05 AM

I can't find the login for SQL Server in the the computer services anymore, it's gone from there. I used to be able to go in and manually start the service and change the password. ...

Wahat do you mean by that?

did you try to start SQL Server with -m in single-user mode?

Although it looks a little strange in the area of Accounts and SIDs, I am working with SQL Server on Windows 8 (not 8.1.) since more than half a year now without serious problems.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server

Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com | www.SarpedonQualityLab.com

Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Well Andreas, I can't wait for you to update to 8.1 so you can experience this nightmare for yourself. I tried to repair the installation but it won't let me, just gives errors all the way through and repairs nothing. When I tried to install a new instance it said I needed to stop SQL Server, which I can't do because it isn't in services to stop.  I use Windows Authentication and it is looking for my old password - which it can't find. So I am doing the right thing. 

I am backing up all of my data and personal info. I am formatting the drive and installing Windows 7, then all of my software. Then I will install my last backup of the database I need and lose a weeks work. And never again will I run Windows 8.x, it's a piece of crap. I fought it for over a year and I'm through with it. I'm going back to my start menu and to hell with the metro screens and microsofts vision of a better future. That isn't the direction I want to be going.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Before you flatten disk, rescue the mdf and ldf files from the disk. They should still be there.

And can you post a screenshoot from SQL Server Configuration Manager? I find it difficult to believe that the service are not there.

Also, you should not have to stop the other instance of SQL Server because you install a new one. In fact, even if you install a service pack, SQL Server does not require you to stop anything. It may inform you that you have services that you should stop if you don't want a reboot.

But I will have to admit that I am not really inclined to try this on my Windows 8 laptop, even if I can afford to lose SQL Server on that machine.

By the way, did you get the upgrade from the Microsoft Store, or did you download 8.1 from MSDN?

Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:31 PM
  • If you are having trouble finding SQL Server Configuration Manager in the start page, the command to open it is this (for SQL Server 2012):

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mmc.exe /32 C:\windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager12.msc

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Monday, December 30, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Well Andreas, I can't wait for you to update to 8.1 so you can experience this nightmare for yourself. .

I can't really use that reply. The comment that I made more or less meant to give some hope, that Win 8 doesn't just break SQL Server "by design".

I do not know if Win 8.1. changes anything but thanks for your kind warning.

If the search for the service on your boy is in vain, you may have to revert to a manual un-installation. That process is documented in BOL and sometimes a last resort. I'll spare searching for the direct link now, as it sounds like a repair is not wanted any more.

Hope you find a way.

For a developer machine it may be fine to stick to Win7 - for a production machine the new networking & security capabilities of the new OS really do matter

Monday, December 30, 2013 9:07 PM
  • For a developer machine it may be fine to stick to Win7 - for a production machine the new networking & security capabilities of the new OS really do matter

But then you would use Windows Server 2012, and not the toy-like Windows 8, wouldn't you?

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Rick, I think that should be

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mmc.exe /32 C:\windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager11.msc

...unless you meant to give instructions for SQL 2014. :-)

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:29 PM
  • For a developer machine it may be fine to stick to Win7 - for a production machine the new networking & security capabilities of the new OS really do matter

But then you would use Windows Server 2012, and not the toy-like Windows 8, wouldn't you?

Sure

but Windows Server 2012 also has the "Modern UI" and the OS is based on the same kernel if I am not completely wrong. R2 changes it a bit, but still..

so that's why I used that term "the new OS" - maybe not clear enough.. but anyways :-)

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:31 PM