none
Need to create an application for mobile which scans and identifies viruses and malwares

Question

• I need to create an antivirus android application which should be able to scan and identify malwares, trojans and other unwanted files.Is there any method in Java/C# or Android that would help me do this? Please advice.I don't want to create that fake notepad antivirus though.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 2:39 AM

Answers

• You will need to do a lot of research to determine the characteristics of the various types of malware that you want to detect.  Then distil that information to a set of signatures which somehow match infected files but have an acceptable level of false positives.  Then you would compare each file on the system to each of the signatures.

I would imagine that you will need a fairly large department to continue to 'catch' various pieces of malware as they are developed and released into the wild.  That department would need to analyse and update the signatures for daily distribution to all your clients.

My, really, really, rough guess is 200 man years to get the first version out and maybe 50 people on an ongoing basis to keep you set of signatures up to date.

Paul Linton

• Marked as answer by Mayooran99 Monday, January 13, 2014 6:49 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 6:36 AM

All replies

• Check out the File, FileInfo,Directory and DirectoryInfo classes.  You are going to be doing a lot of navigating and file opening and these classes will come in handy.

Paul Linton

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:56 AM
  • Thanks a lot Paul Linton. Could you please suggest me a way through which I could determine whether a particular file is harmful or not? What should be the logic I have to use? Please advice.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 6:03 AM
  • You will need to do a lot of research to determine the characteristics of the various types of malware that you want to detect.  Then distil that information to a set of signatures which somehow match infected files but have an acceptable level of false positives.  Then you would compare each file on the system to each of the signatures.

I would imagine that you will need a fairly large department to continue to 'catch' various pieces of malware as they are developed and released into the wild.  That department would need to analyse and update the signatures for daily distribution to all your clients.

My, really, really, rough guess is 200 man years to get the first version out and maybe 50 people on an ongoing basis to keep you set of signatures up to date.

Paul Linton

• Marked as answer by Mayooran99 Monday, January 13, 2014 6:49 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Sounds haunting. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. I will do my best to come up with a proper application.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 6:49 AM