none
SmallBasic Challenge

General discussion

• Does anyone think it will be a good idea to host a weekly SmallBasic challenge to give people ideas and help improve there skills.

There will have to be some rules in place for each challenge. E.G Only the SmallBasic standard library can be used.

If anyone is interested in a few rules ideas ect... I would like to hear your feedback.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• Yes! I think this would be a very, very good idea. Thank you very much Kirkkaf for suggesting this. I think that a new challenge a week would get people more interested in the world of programming, especially kids, and train their brains to think more logically, and think more about problems and the best ways to find a solution.

~~AirWaves!!~~
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Well one common challenge is to calculate Pi. Mission is to calculate millions of decimals in shortest possible time. Of course calculation will be slower with Small Basic than using native C++ but few million decimals with Small Basic could be nice.

Sorry My Bad English
    Monday, June 27, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Good idea, the problem is thinking up good challenges that are accessible and interesting for many different people including 10 year olds and upwards.  In the past, two ideas that have worked well for SmallBasic are:

1] 25 line challenge - short fun programs of 25 lines or less

2] Project Euler - a series of easier and harder math problems that can be solved sometimes in innovative ways

No reason not to run these again.

Perhaps repros of simple early games or popular board/card games - we have pong, but there are many others from packman to checkers to reversi to snap.

Perhaps write a quiz or plot a graph

If there is interest and some ideas we can make each challenge sticky for week or two and then move on to the next.

Post here if you have ideas for challenges or if you would just like to see this!

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, I think it's just what the community needs so people can start participating. I think 1 challenge a week is enough time as these are not going to be big projects 7 days is plenty of time in my opinion, even if you don't get time in the week because work or school theres plenty of hours in the weekend. Also if it's a challenge someone in particular isn't interested in they won't have to wait so long for the next one.

I think help should be given to the people who need it to get started, not so much write the program for them but explain the concept and show a few examples if needed and possible.

If we could sticky a thread called SmallBasic challenge 1 for example people would ask for help, post there entries and submit an idea for the next weeks challenge. If a few people agree for the same challenge a new thread is made once the old one is finished.

These kind of threads like others in the past create good examples for people who are learning to study and edit as they wish.

EDITED: Something like this to start with should be easy enough http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Kirkkaf,

Do you want to write the first challenge and give the guidance you think and I'll make it sticky - call the thread 'SmallBasic Challenge 1' or perhaps 'SmallBasic Weekly Challenge 1' so they can be found as they become unsticky.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:36 PM
  • I find that it is really a very good idea
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hi all,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply I have had some issues with my Internet and not been able to connect to the site.

I will look at putting a challenge up for this Sunday if everyone is okay with that, I think it would be the best day to start/finish these challenges.

If anyone in the mean time would like to put forward some ideas that would be helpful.

Kirk.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:31 PM
  • While waiting for real challenge here is 99 bottles of beer: GKD178 (it is made in hurry so it may not be the shortest possible version)

Sorry My Bad English
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 8:27 AM