Program may not have installed correctly - Windows 7

Question

• I developed a short app for placing modded maps for CoDWaW into the mods folder, as to make it easier to mass-install many mods/maps. When I run the program, it works fine in both XP and 7. Windows 7, however, displays a pop-up window indicating that "The program may not have installed correctly." This program is not really installing anything, rather copying files from one directory to another. If it is possible, I would like to get rid of this message, but have no idea how to. I am using Framework 2.0 for the coding in C#. Thanks for the help :D
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• This is a terrible answer to the question asked.

I apogize if it seems rash but not only did you not read the question, but you answered with something completely incorrect.

I understand this is a 6mo old topic, but I couldn't pass by without commenting. I just ran into this problem myself and would like to share a solution I found elsewhere. The original poster *clearly* asked about an application he developed. He mentions nothing about the application being installed. He states that when the application is run, after it is completed, upon exit, the application brings up the dialog that it hasn't been installed correctly. He ends with, how do you remove this dialog.

You're reply with: How to run an application as an administrator does not answer his question and furthermore leads him in the wrong direction.

The key that's not well known is that Windows searches the File Name for common installer keywords. I suppose it makes sense as how would it know if the executable really is an installer, but I digress. When it sees an application that is running that has: Setup, Install, etc, it attempts to judge if it installed things correctly. I'm not sure what the criterion is per say, but I know it has something to do with UAC. There is a compatibility fix that can be inserted into the manifest. To retain and preset the owner of the fix I have merely linked to the website containing the solution.

Please see:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1577412/program-compatibility-assistant-thinks-my-app-is-an-installer

Specifically speaking notice Justin's answer (marked correctly as an answer).

• Proposed as answer by BlndLeadingDef Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johnyboy S Friday, July 09, 2010 1:09 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems your application is not installed or badly installed .
    You can run you application as Administrator:
    http://www.enusbaum.com/blog/2007/08/26/how-to-run-your-c-application-as-administrator-in-windows-vista/

Harry
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Harry Zhu Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Johnyboy S Friday, July 09, 2010 1:09 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:12 AM
  • This is a terrible answer to the question asked.

I apogize if it seems rash but not only did you not read the question, but you answered with something completely incorrect.

I understand this is a 6mo old topic, but I couldn't pass by without commenting. I just ran into this problem myself and would like to share a solution I found elsewhere. The original poster *clearly* asked about an application he developed. He mentions nothing about the application being installed. He states that when the application is run, after it is completed, upon exit, the application brings up the dialog that it hasn't been installed correctly. He ends with, how do you remove this dialog.

You're reply with: How to run an application as an administrator does not answer his question and furthermore leads him in the wrong direction.

The key that's not well known is that Windows searches the File Name for common installer keywords. I suppose it makes sense as how would it know if the executable really is an installer, but I digress. When it sees an application that is running that has: Setup, Install, etc, it attempts to judge if it installed things correctly. I'm not sure what the criterion is per say, but I know it has something to do with UAC. There is a compatibility fix that can be inserted into the manifest. To retain and preset the owner of the fix I have merely linked to the website containing the solution.

Please see:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1577412/program-compatibility-assistant-thinks-my-app-is-an-installer

Specifically speaking notice Justin's answer (marked correctly as an answer).

• Proposed as answer by BlndLeadingDef Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johnyboy S Friday, July 09, 2010 1:09 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:10 PM