• I am getting this error when trying to open my newly installed quickbooks:

Runtime Error!

abnormal program termintaion

Any Ideas on why this might be?

Thank you

Chris

Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:52 PM

Answers

• This is not a VC2005 issue. Contact the author of the application.

Thanks,
    Ayman Shoukry
    VC++ Team
    Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:17 PM
  • These sound like the kinds of crashes that go with plug-ins and other cases that lead to exceptions. 

If you're running on Windows XP, do you get a "Windows is closing the application" message, and have you allowed it to send error information to Microsoft (assuming you are on-line)?  Often there will be information related to the application crash that comes back as part of the on-line crash analysis.  You can then learn whether the particular incident is known, whether there is a fix for it, or even whether there's a generic suggestion for a workaround. 

I assume in the case of Outlook that it was working and then later, something happened.  That always raises the question of what was changed, if anything, before the first failure.  (And whether or not you've run a fully-updated antivirus scan lately.) 

[It should not be assumed that "Runtime error ... abnormal program termination" messages all have the same cause.  The details of the error may be quite different.  In particular, VC++ runtime libraries may not be involved at all. The runtime library may be reporting the error, but the cause can be elsewhere.  Because of that, it is hard to be helpful without seeing the entire message and any "Details ..." that are also available.  My experience is that using the on-line crash analysis is often helpful.]

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:43 PM

All replies

• This is not a VC2005 issue. Contact the author of the application.

Thanks,
    Ayman Shoukry
    VC++ Team
    Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:17 PM
  • This error is appearing for a number of applications, and not consistenetly. This therefore suggests it is a problem with the runtime library and not necessarily with the application.

I originally saw this with Crystal XI and after reinstalling XP, from the ground up this application worked fine, but I am now experincing the same problem with Norton Password Manager, which was working fine when I was having problems with Crystal XI.

Friday, January 20, 2006 10:08 PM
  • What might be happening is that the applications are calling older APIs in the C runtime library than the one installed on your machine.

Thanks,
    Ayman Shoukry
    VC++ Team
    Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:07 AM
  • I've been having this error pop up for about four different programs for quite a while now, and I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. It just happened again a moment ago which is why I'm here finally, the typical: Runtime Error! abnormal program termination message. I'm personally not very familiar with C++, and in the lack of finding somewhere to securely update this "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" safely hoping that would fix it, I was thinking about reinstalling my O/S.

If there are any possible solutions, I'd be very grateful. This has been plaguing my computer for some time.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:46 PM
  • I am experiencing the same error message when I try to open my Outlook.  All other applications work.  I tried reinstalling my Office software. Do I need to reinstall the XP Operating system as well?

Monday, January 23, 2006 12:17 PM
  • Well, here's a last ditch effort.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/streetstrips2000/Utility/1.0/WIN98/EN-US/Runtifix.exe

...is apparently something used to repair Runtime files? I'm not knowledgeable enough to say particularly, so search Microsoft.com for runtifix.exe and check it out. My only beef with it is that the files it contains are older than the ones I have, and the FAQ where I found it said not to replace newer files... Though my Runtime files are FUBAR'ed already, so at this point I'm desperate to fix this.

Either way, why the heck is it so difficult to get Microsoft help on this issue? I can't find a single, solid answer anywhere. This error has been more troublesome than any virus or other problem I've ever come across and since it afflicts various programs in various ways it's hard to search for help.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:18 AM
  • Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:15 PM
  • These sound like the kinds of crashes that go with plug-ins and other cases that lead to exceptions. 

If you're running on Windows XP, do you get a "Windows is closing the application" message, and have you allowed it to send error information to Microsoft (assuming you are on-line)?  Often there will be information related to the application crash that comes back as part of the on-line crash analysis.  You can then learn whether the particular incident is known, whether there is a fix for it, or even whether there's a generic suggestion for a workaround. 

I assume in the case of Outlook that it was working and then later, something happened.  That always raises the question of what was changed, if anything, before the first failure.  (And whether or not you've run a fully-updated antivirus scan lately.) 

[It should not be assumed that "Runtime error ... abnormal program termination" messages all have the same cause.  The details of the error may be quite different.  In particular, VC++ runtime libraries may not be involved at all. The runtime library may be reporting the error, but the cause can be elsewhere.  Because of that, it is hard to be helpful without seeing the entire message and any "Details ..." that are also available.  My experience is that using the on-line crash analysis is often helpful.]

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:43 PM
  • Error was due to either the msvcp80.dll or msvcr80.dll not being in the windows>system32 folder.

Copied these files from another directory, within windows, to this location. Problem solved!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:48 AM