Adobe Flash Player 64-bit will not install, FP11 beta 64-bit for IE10 64-bit

Question

• In IE10 in metro UI I cannot seem to be able to install Adobe Flash Player 11 Beta successfully.  If I switch to IE in classic view I can install the activeX control and view Flash-enabled content.  But not in IE10/MetroUI view (64-bit Windows 8).
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• I noticed that too.

I think it is something to do with maybe the User Agent being different in the Metro Version of IE?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:05 PM
  • It can't be that.  I checked the file location of the Classic 64-bit IE10 and the Metro IE10 and they are both located in root_drive:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

You can even search for iexplore.exe and you will get 4 results: 2-32bit, 2-64bit results.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:17 PM
  • dont install flash.  I dont understand why anyone is still developing under flash.  having windows 8 support html5 natively, flash will have no place in the world in 5 years time.  name one browser that doesnt support html5 with its lastest version.  there's nothing flash can do that html5 cant do better.  i've developed in ActionScript before and its like a jungle without exits, spaghetti without the sauce.  Flash had its moments but there is a reason why 50% of the time its on beta mode.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:27 PM
  • I noticed there's a iexplore.exe.mui file which probably stands for the metro ui extension?

As far as continuing to develop in Flash, yes html5 has advantages in that it doesn't require 3rd party plugins but why in html5 do you have to encode 3 different types of video extensions just to host video across all the major browsers?  And that's just video.  Adobe Edge still can't do alot of the interactivity that ActionScript can do or Flex can do with Flash.  Maybe that will change and maybe more people will be inclined to use javascript to code their logic for interactivity.  I see google making strides with html5 but for dummies like myself javascript is a bit harder to wrap around than ActionScript or Flex.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:32 PM
  • There is something odd about the Metro IE10. I've installed Flash 11 beta which has 64-bit support, but it still doesn't work, but in Desktop browsers it does work. Perhaps for Metro IE10, Active X is disabled?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Ha!  MetroUI IE10 doesn't even support SilverLight!!!!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:02 AM
  • dont install flash.  I dont understand why anyone is still developing under flash.  having windows 8 support html5 natively, flash will have no place in the world in 5 years time.  name one browser that doesnt support html5 with its lastest version.  there's nothing flash can do that html5 cant do better.  i've developed in ActionScript before and its like a jungle without exits, spaghetti without the sauce.  Flash had its moments but there is a reason why 50% of the time its on beta mode.

People give HTML 5 too much credit. Flash is still relevant, and will continue to be relevant. Flash is optimized for GPU acceleration and Flash supports a wider range of interactive content. HTML 5 essentially offloads the job of Flash onto the browser developers, whereas the browser developers have not worked with the technology like Adobe has, so HTML 5 fails to be as powerful as Flash. Videos can be played at a higher quality in Flash, as it offloads properly onto the GPU. I don't disagree with the prospect of HTML 5 being a good transition, as embedding audio and video is something that HTML certainly needs to natively support, but at the same time I realize that HTML 5 still has its shortcomings, and will continue to have its shortcomings for quite a while. People still develop for Flash because the tools for it are more easy to use for most people than HTML 5 and Javascript coding, in addition to the fact that Flash still maintains a higher level of interactivity. People who boast of HTML 5's capabilities, I would assume, have not tried coding an entire game in HTML 5 and Javascript.

Port everything from Addicting Games onto HTML 5 and then talk about how useless Flash is. Mmkay pumpkin? c:

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:14 AM
  • To ensure this thread has an answer, the development team's point of view on Flash and other add-ons in the Metro Style IE is blogged about here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx

Please feel free to leave a comment there and thank you!

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:50 AM
  • To ensure this thread has an answer, the development team's point of view on Flash and other add-ons in the Metro Style IE is blogged about here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx

Please feel free to leave a comment there and thank you!

I thought we were supposed to talk in the forums? I figured that's what it was there for?

That way we can discuss how plugins are STILL NECESSARY. I think that'd be great to give the user a choice to turn them on or off.

Key word there being CHOICE. Windows is becoming a locked down platform. Even if you don't like Flash, I would hope you would appreciate the choices that users should be able to retain, as it is their device, not yours. Microsoft, you seem to be working to make everyone's computers work to obey you, not the user.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:59 PM