none
Add Custom Metadata to Attributes

Question

• I'm hoping that MDS can satisfy this requirement.

I have a need to tag each data item in our data warehouse with a metadata entry that contains one of the following three (3) values:  1) public; 2) protected; or 3) confidential.  This is being done to address a data transmittal initiative to apply security measures of different levels based on the value of this tag.  In addition, we'd like to be able to reference this information during ETL processing.   Is MDS the right place to record this information and to be able to use it during ETL processing?  I've looked everywhere and have had zero success finding an example. 

Thanks for your help,

Bigguy365

Friday, November 08, 2013 1:30 AM

Answers

• We have multiple clients using an MDS model in this way.  For example, you could create an entity of "tables" and an entity of "columns" to capture metadata information about your data warehouse and other relational databases.  Then use that information in SSIS packages to drive ETL behavior.

Val Lovicz
    http://www.profisee.com
    val.lovicz@profisee.com
    As the original creators of Microsoft MDS, Profisee provides a range of enterprise-grade functionality to ensure MDS project success.

• Edited by Val Lovicz Friday, November 08, 2013 7:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Val Lovicz Friday, November 08, 2013 7:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by GCSA Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:17 AM
    Friday, November 08, 2013 7:34 PM

All replies

• We have multiple clients using an MDS model in this way.  For example, you could create an entity of "tables" and an entity of "columns" to capture metadata information about your data warehouse and other relational databases.  Then use that information in SSIS packages to drive ETL behavior.

Val Lovicz
    http://www.profisee.com
    val.lovicz@profisee.com
    As the original creators of Microsoft MDS, Profisee provides a range of enterprise-grade functionality to ensure MDS project success.

• Edited by Val Lovicz Friday, November 08, 2013 7:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Val Lovicz Friday, November 08, 2013 7:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by GCSA Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:17 AM
    Friday, November 08, 2013 7:34 PM
  • Thank you Val.  I'm glad to see that I can use MDS for this and that you have clients doing this.  If it's not imposing on any NDA's, can you direct me to any publications (case studies) that outline in detail how this was implemented?

Thanks again.

Bigguy365

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:13 PM