Using Xbox 360 Controller with my PC (newb)

Question

• I am to understand that you can use a 360 controller to develope games with XNA. I have plugged my wireless controller in via the play and charge cable, but all it does is turn my xbox on in the next room. I assume I need a driver, as my computer did recognize new hardware, but do I also need a wired controller?
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 1:57 AM

Answers

• the answer was here

all i did was search for "controller usb driver" and it was the only result...
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:06 AM
  • Like the article Dave points to mentions, the Wireless controller for the 360 is not supported on the PC at this time (although I've heard people mention an adapter coming out). The USB cable for the Wireless 360 controller is for recharging only and the controller always works on wireless (hence the reason it's not working for you).
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 4:54 AM
  • There is a 'wireless controller for windows' http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=090 which appears to currently be the only way to get the PC adapter. Yeah thats right you gotta buy a whole new controller....

Monday, October 16, 2006 3:02 AM

All replies

• the answer was here

all i did was search for "controller usb driver" and it was the only result...
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:06 AM
  • Like the article Dave points to mentions, the Wireless controller for the 360 is not supported on the PC at this time (although I've heard people mention an adapter coming out). The USB cable for the Wireless 360 controller is for recharging only and the controller always works on wireless (hence the reason it's not working for you).
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 4:54 AM
  • There is a 'wireless controller for windows' http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=090 which appears to currently be the only way to get the PC adapter. Yeah thats right you gotta buy a whole new controller....

Monday, October 16, 2006 3:02 AM
  • You mention wireless in your post, but it's worth mentioning that you can plug in a wired 360 controller and use that without any problems.
    Monday, October 16, 2006 4:27 AM
  • The wireless controller for PC will also work with your 360.
    Monday, October 16, 2006 6:28 AM
  • In addition, the "xbox 360 controller for PC" is cheaper than the "xbox 360 wired controller."
    Monday, October 16, 2006 6:39 AM
  • The wireless controller for PC will also work with your 360.

Yeah but if you already have 2 perfectly good wireless controllers from when you bought yourxbox 360 why do I have to go buy 2 more for my PC.... just let me by the usb dongle thingy-ma-jig

Monday, October 16, 2006 7:18 AM
  • Thanks alot guys. I think I will pick up the wired controller. I have 2 wireless controllers still in-box from a year ago when I bought the 360 and 3 additional controllers. I have never used them, so I will see if I can trade for one at gamestop or something. Well, thats one hurdle crossed, time to learn how to program.
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:48 AM
  •  Matthew Power wrote:
    Thanks alot guys.... time to learn how to program.

As someone new to programming, you definitely want to make good use of the various tutorials out there. Start with the Tutorials in the help, and then try some of the 3rd party ones, like on George Clingerman's site: www.xnadevelopment.com

Also, take a look at the XNA Extras stuff, for some cool demos on Collision Detection, etc...

Good luck!!

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:23 PM
  • I purchased the controller and driver disc package and installed it on my windows machine. There was no problem with it other than the fact that the triggers both output to the same value, with the right trigger making the value go positive and the other trigger making it go negative. What this seems to mean from a programming point of view is that it is impossible to tell the difference between the user holding down NO triggers and the player holding down BOTH triggers, as both situations output a Z-axis value of zero. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to fix or work around this?
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:09 AM
  • http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessgamingreceiver/

Seems like you can get any wireless 360 device on a PC.. for 20 bucks! :)
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 2:42 AM
  •  A.Locket wrote:
    I purchased the controller and driver disc package and installed it on my windows machine. There was no problem with it other than the fact that the triggers both output to the same value, with the right trigger making the value go positive and the other trigger making it go negative. What this seems to mean from a programming point of view is that it is impossible to tell the difference between the user holding down NO triggers and the player holding down BOTH triggers, as both situations output a Z-axis value of zero. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to fix or work around this?

I'm guessing that you used something like the gamepad device properties to notice that. This is only a problem if you are accessing the gamepad through DirectInput. XInput (and therefore Xna) should not have that problem.

Cheers,
    Leaf.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:35 AM