This web service does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1. - What does this means?

Question

• Hi All,
    I have created a webservice for myself. When I run it, it showed me the following warning message.

This web service does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1.

Please examine each of the normative statement violations below. Follow the recommendations to remedy it, or add setting to the <webServices> config section to turn off BP 1.1 conformance warnings for the entire vroot.

What does the above message means?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:33 AM

Answers

• It means your web service doesn't conform to part of the basic profile published here:  http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html

This is a set of guidelines for web services to help ensure interoperability.  Can you post the violations and we can tell exactly what's wrong?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  

1. I developed the webservice (part of a product). I don't know the webserver where it will be deployed.I am using this web service in a WPF application. How do I reference this web service?
      1. Ans: Make your web service address configurable (in app.config), once your webservice is deployed, the client config should be updated with the correct webservice address. The process should be something like, Step 1: Deploy WebService Step 2: Update Client config info Step 3: Deploy Clients
      2. Ans: Also check the UDDI and if your organization supports it.
    2. I have read some articles about WSDL.exe (Web Service Description Language), but how it is used?
      1. wsdl.exe helps you to generate the client side code for the webservice from command line. From your post, looks like you have already generated the client side code propably by Add web reference in VS.
    3. My web service does not have any *.wsdl file. How to create it?
      1. Ans: Your service might already expose wsdl, check by adding ?wsdl to your asmx url.
      2. Ans: If you dont see the wsdl, check your web.config file to have <add name="Documentation"/>
        as mentioned in
        http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ccbk8w5h(VS.71).aspx.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• It means your web service doesn't conform to part of the basic profile published here:  http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html

This is a set of guidelines for web services to help ensure interoperability.  Can you post the violations and we can tell exactly what's wrong?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Thanks for Replying Nathan.

I found the issues. I have a web method with 1+ overloads. BasicProfile-1.1 states to have unique names. I used MessageName to make it work. Even though it worked, I have violated the BP guidelines right?? I fixed it by having unique names (I removed the overloads)

Nathan,
    I have some others questions regarding the deployment and implementation. They are,

1. I developed the webservice (part of a product). I don't know the webserver where it will be deployed.I am using this web service in a WPF application. How do I reference this web service?
    2. I have read some articles about WSDL.exe (Web Service Description Language), but how it is used?

To explain to create 1 question clearly,
    My development environment is different than the production environment. And we distribute both the webservice and application together in CDs. How can I maintain the web reference without any break?
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:01 AM
  •  

1. Ans: Make your web service address configurable (in app.config), once your webservice is deployed, the client config should be updated with the correct webservice address. The process should be something like, Step 1: Deploy WebService Step 2: Update Client config info Step 3: Deploy Clients
      2. Ans: Also check the UDDI and if your organization supports it.
      1. wsdl.exe helps you to generate the client side code for the webservice from command line. From your post, looks like you have already generated the client side code propably by Add web reference in VS.
      1. Ans: Your service might already expose wsdl, check by adding ?wsdl to your asmx url.
      2. Ans: If you dont see the wsdl, check your web.config file to have <add name="Documentation"/>
        as mentioned in
        http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ccbk8w5h(VS.71).aspx.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Thanks Ravi. Your post is valuable.

I will work on it. Soon get back to you if I have questions.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:42 PM