none
ReportViewer Control & Printing (Application encountered a problem and needs to close)

Question

• Using Visual Studio 2005.

I deployed a winform application to a server and made the application available online only.  The user clicks a shortcut on the desktop to execute the application.

One user is getting a window that says "Create-A-Draft has encountered a problem and needs to close" whenever he attempts to send the report to the printer by clicking the print button.  The user has successfully printed in the past.

Any ideas what would cause this problem to occur all of a sudden?  No problems with any of the other 12 users.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• VS2005 doesn't come with a report viewer control, you, or someone that handles your software had to download the reportviewer seperately.  And depending on what version you downloaded dictates the existance of a "print" button.

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• what is "Create-A-Draft"?  And where is this print button that they are clicking on?  Is this a print button you created?

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:18 PM
  • "Create-A-Draft" is the name of my windows application.  The print button is part of the ReportViewer control.  I did not create the button.

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:28 PM
  • ahh, so your using the newer version of the report viewer, I believe the 2008 redistributable..I haven't used this one yet.

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:37 PM
  • No.  I'm using the report viewer control from VS2005.

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:46 PM
  • VS2005 doesn't come with a report viewer control, you, or someone that handles your software had to download the reportviewer seperately.  And depending on what version you downloaded dictates the existance of a "print" button.

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Thanks, Blast

I downloaded the ReportViewer.exe and installed it on my PC.  I thought the ReportViewer control was a native control in VS2005.

Any ideas why the application is closing for the one user when he clicks the 'print' button?

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Wish I did, but I really have no experence with how they configured that Print button in that version of the redistributable.  it's probably something I need to familarize myself with.

Seeing how it's works for other users, but not this one would of course lead you to believe it's a problem unique to his configuration of course.   And since this is a winform combined with an executable...I'd wonder if maybe he's having user privelage problems?   I'd have to put that user to the question really to try to elimnate as many variables as possible. 

Maybe you could put some try/catch statements in your code and autoemail the exception messages?  Just reaching for ideas here for ya

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Thanks from the advice, Blast.

I downloaded the redistributable a long time ago. The ReportViewer.exe has a modified date of 9/5/2007, that's probably before VS2008 was available.

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:30 PM