none
Intellisense not working on database with large number of objects

Question

• I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 database with 535 Tables, 116 Views, 2017 SP's and 2307 Functions that intellisense is unable to process in the SSDT tool in VS 2010 or 2012.  The SSDT versions I am using are 11.1.30618.1 (VS2012) and 10.3.30618.1 (VS2010) but the intellisense works on small connected databases such as master and msdb however it does not work on the very large db's I reference above.  Is there anything I can do to make this work? 

I have no problem with Intellisense in SSMS 2008 with these very large DB's.

Ed Morris

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:16 PM

All replies

• Have you refereshed the local cache (using Ctrl+Shift+R), if not please do so and try again

Thanks and Regards, Prajesh Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:32 PM
  • I have tried to refresh the local cache however no difference.  I cannot locate the 'Refresh Local Cache' anywhere in the menu.

Ed

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:43 PM
  • In SSMS, create a new SQL file and go to Edit->Intellisense->Refresh Local Cache (Ctrl+Shift+R), Make sure you do this after opening a new sql window, otherwise it will not work.

Thanks and Regards, Prajesh Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:46 PM
  • The intellisense works great in SSMS just never works in SSDT....

Ed

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:00 PM
  • My bad, use the below link to fix Data tools intellisense

http://dotnetspeak.com/2012/04/ssdt-intellisense-not-working

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:12 PM
  • I had already checked that and also increased the Maximum Script Size to 5MB just in case that might be an issue (I never expected it would be).  Intellisense does work in SSDT on small db's like Master however if I change the database to one of the larger object db's it fails to work.

Ed

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:16 PM
  • I guess there are no solutions to this?  Is anyone else having similar issues with SSDT?  I really like the tool for development but the Intellisense thing makes it tough.

Ed

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this. I'd like to try and repro the intellisense failure.  Just for clarification are you using the t-sql editor against a project or against a connected sql server?  If the dacpac is sharable are you willing to send us a copy?
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 9:28 PM