Migration from VSS 8.0 to TFS 2010

Answers

• Hi Cschaar,

Thank you for your reply.

VSS version 8.0 should be Visual SourceSafe 2005.
    For more information, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3h0544kx%28VS.80%29.aspx.

As far as I know, XML is strictly case-sensitive.

<Settings>

<TeamFoundationServer name="tfservername" port="8080" protocol="http" Collection="tfs/DefaultCollection"></TeamFoundationServer>

</Settings>

Could you please change "Collection" to "collection"? Does it work?

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, August 06, 2010 9:07 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:31 AM

All replies

• Thank you for Jehan33's kindly help.

Hi Cschaar,

For your concern, firstly, I want to know the edition of Team Explorer you're running.

Besides Jehanss'3 suggestion, here are some points that you might need to check for the migration:

Point 1:
    The VSS Converter requires Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 2005 or a later version.

Point 2:
    The VSS Converter should be a part of Team Explorer.

Point 3:
    Please ensure that you can access TFS2010 via Team Explorer.

Point 4:
    For Team Explorer 2008:
    The VSSConverter.exe is located in <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE and is also available at the Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt.
    For Team Explorer 2010:
    The VSSConverter.exe is located in <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE and is also available at the Visual Studio 2010 Command Prompt.

Then please try the steps mentioned in Jehan33's reply to do the migration.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 8:38 AM
  • 1) According to the Visual Source Safe under help 'about visual source safe', it defines it as version 8.0, is this the same as version 2008 or greater? From what I can tell, VSS ver 5.0 coincided with Visual Studio 2005, which makes VSS 8.0 more recent & should work.

2) We have Visual Studio 2005 with Team Explorer and SQL Express 2005 installed on the VSS server. From what I can tell VSS Converter is a natvie tool to VS TE, & therefore I couldn't have gotten to step 7 as mentioned above unless VS TE was actually installed & working properly.

3). Might have found the cause, VS TE on the VSS can't connect to TFS 2010 (it works for all my other VS TE clients which are properly upgraded however). I suspect, like the other clients, this isn't b/c of VSS but b/c VS TE hasn't been upgraded to SP1 with forward compatibility pack for TFS 2010.  If this is the case, then the following article should be updated for TFS 2010 case scenarios to reflect such requirements. - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181247(VS.80).aspx

I will try updating these bits & try to test VS TE connectivity & further if this doesn't work I will try the steps outlined in the link provided above by Jehan33.

4) I know the location for the VSSconverter, I used the Analysis tool already on one of our projects.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:18 PM
  • OK, I installed the VS 2005 TE & the SP1 & forward compatibility pack for VS TE & verified that I can connect to TFS 2010 through it from the VSS machine, however it didn't help in getting the migration to work (same collection attribute error).

Following the other link, and your advice, I installed VS TE 2010 & attempted to run the migration from the following path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE>VSSConverter.exe migrate migration_settings.xml

And this fails, again with the same error...

TF60089:  migration_settings.xml is in improper xml format
    XMLError: TF60095: Validation failed for file 'migration_settings.xml'. Line: 13, Col: 80, Error: The 'Collection' attribute is not declared.

Our VSS version is the following: Version : 8.0.50727.762, is this a known issue?

Below is the entire VSSConverter log located in the above directory & the migration xml.

[ourproject,          Warning,   3, 2010/08/04 13:24:19.180] Version : 1.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    [ourproject,          Error,     3, 2010/08/04 13:24:19.414] Validation of XML Schema for 'migration_settings.xml' Failed
    [ourproject,          Error,     3, 2010/08/04 13:24:19.414] Exception: System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidationException
     Stack Trace:    at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.SendValidationEvent(XmlSchemaValidationException e, XmlSeverityType severity)
       at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.SendValidationEvent(String code, String arg)
       at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.ValidateAttribute(String lName, String ns, XmlValueGetter attributeValueGetter, String attributeStringValue, XmlSchemaInfo schemaInfo)
       at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.ValidateAttribute(String localName, String namespaceUri, XmlValueGetter attributeValue, XmlSchemaInfo schemaInfo)
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.ValidateAttributes()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.ProcessElementEvent()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.ProcessReaderEvent()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
       at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Converters.Utility.UtilityMethods.ValidateXmlFile(String xmlFile, String xsdFile)
     Help Link:
     BaseExceptionMessage: The 'Collection' attribute is not declared.

[ourproject,          Error,     3, 2010/08/04 13:24:19.414] Exception: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Converters.Utility.ConverterException
     Message: TF60095: Validation failed for file 'migration_settings.xml'. Line: 13, Col: 80, Error: The 'Collection' attribute is not declared.
     Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Converters.Utility.UtilityMethods.ValidateXmlFile(String xmlFile, String xsdFile)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Converters.Reporting.SourceControlConverter.ValidateAndRead(String xmlFileName, String xsdFileName)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Converters.VersionControl.Common.Converter.GetMigrationSettings(StringDictionary& sourceToDestination, Char sourcePathSeparator, Char alternateSourcePathSeparator, String sourceRoot)
     Help Link:
     BaseExceptionMessage: The 'Collection' attribute is not declared.
     InnerException: System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidationException
     InnerException Message: The 'Collection' attribute is not declared.
     InnerException Stack Trace:    at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.SendValidationEvent(XmlSchemaValidationException e, XmlSeverityType severity)
       at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.SendValidationEvent(String code, String arg)
       at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.ValidateAttribute(String lName, String ns, XmlValueGetter attributeValueGetter, String attributeStringValue, XmlSchemaInfo schemaInfo)
       at System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidator.ValidateAttribute(String localName, String namespaceUri, XmlValueGetter attributeValue, XmlSchemaInfo schemaInfo)
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.ValidateAttributes()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.ProcessElementEvent()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.ProcessReaderEvent()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
       at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Converters.Utility.UtilityMethods.ValidateXmlFile(String xmlFile, String xsdFile)
     InnerException Help Link:
     InnerExceptionBaseExceptionMessage: The 'Collection' attribute is not declared.

[VSS,             Error,     3, 2010/08/04 13:24:19.430] Invalid input parameters
    [VSS,             Error,     3, 2010/08/04 13:24:19.430] Failed to Initialize VssConverter

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <SourceControlConverter>
       <ConverterSpecificSetting>
          <Source name="VSS">
             <VSSDatabase name="D:\temp"></VSSDatabase>
    		 <UserMap name="D:\VSS2TeamFoundation2\UserMap.xml"></UserMap>
          </Source>
          <ProjectMap>
          <Project Source="$/" Destination="$/test"></Project>
          </ProjectMap>
       </ConverterSpecificSetting>
       <Settings>
        <TeamFoundationServer name="tfservername" port="8080" protocol="http" Collection="tfs/DefaultCollection"></TeamFoundationServer>
       </Settings>
    </SourceControlConverter>

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hi Cschaar,

Thank you for your reply.

VSS version 8.0 should be Visual SourceSafe 2005.
    For more information, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3h0544kx%28VS.80%29.aspx.

As far as I know, XML is strictly case-sensitive.

<Settings>

</Settings>

Could you please change "Collection" to "collection"? Does it work?

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, August 06, 2010 9:07 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Could you please change "Collection" to "collection"? Does it work?

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Ha. looks like that was it. It's at least initalzying with TFS.
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:59 PM
  • Hi Cschaar,

Thank you for your feedback.

It looks like that your concern is solved. I've marked my reply as answer here. If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, August 06, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

I have problem with migration is VSS 2008 to TFS 2010.

The XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <SourceControlConverter>
    <ConverterSpecificSetting>
         <Source name="VSS">
              <VSSDatabase name="c:\VSSDatabase"></VSSDatabase>
              <UserMap name="c:\VSS2TeamFoundation\Usermap.xml"></UserMap>
         </Source>
         <ProjectMap>
              <Project Source="$/" Destination="$/Team_Project"></Project>
         </ProjectMap>
    </ConverterSpecificSetting>
    <Settings>
         <TeamFoundationServer name="informatica-02" port="8080" protocol="http" collection="tfs/DefaultCollection"></TeamFoundationServer>
         <Output file="Migration.xml"></Output>
    </Settings>
    </SourceControlConverter>

Problem:

TF60089:  migration_settings.xml is in improper xml format  XMLError: TF60095: Validation failed for file 'migration_settings.xml'. Line: 13, Col: 78, Error: The 'collection' attribute is not declared.

TF60089 and TF60095 but the name of collection is good and versions and all things that say microsoft so I need help?

• Edited by -12-Oscar Friday, March 02, 2012 8:03 PM
    Friday, March 02, 2012 7:54 PM