Join existing Homegroup from Windows 8

Question

• I have installed the Developer Preview of Win 8 twice now and cannot find a way to join an existing Win 7 Homegroup.  All I can do is create a Win 8 Homegroup and try to join Win 7 to it.  This does not work for me because I am testing Win 8 on a desktop and a laptop and I would like to test this feature between machines.  This is not possible because there is no way to join an existing Homegroup, only start one.  The functionality seems to have been hidden or removed.  I would also like to print from these test boxes but cannot connect to the Win 7 Homegroup where my printer is connected.  Anybody else run across this "issue"?
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 9:25 PM

Answers

• Hey SpaceCowboy59,

Try following these steps to join an existing HomeGroup in Windows Developer Preview:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type HomeGroup
    • Click Setting on the right column
    • Click HomeGroup in the right column of the search results (not the HomeGroup in the left column of the search results)

If you are already joined to a HomeGroup you will need to select the Leave a HomeGroup... link and confirm that you want to leave. Then click Join now to enter the setup dialog to configure your computer to join a HomeGroup.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:20 AM

All replies

• Are you dual booting your Windows Developer Preview with your Windows 7 computer?
    Are they in a domain or a workgroup?
    Does your Windows Developer Preview see the Windows 7 computer?
    Can you ping between the two computers?

Please explain your configuration and we will be glad to help.
    Marilyn
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Thank you for your quick response.  In answer to your questions:

1)Are you dual booting your Windows Developer Preview with your Windows 7 computer?

Neither test machine is dual booting.  They are single boot and the hard drives are only single partition with Win 8 installed.
    2)Are they in a domain or a workgroup?

I am not using them in a domain, only trying to use them in a Homegroup.  All computers are on the same home network (on the same subnet) with a combination of some wired and some wireless.
    3)Does your Windows Developer Preview see the Windows 7 computer?

Unlike Windows 7, there is no "Join Homegroup" button.
    4)Can you ping between the two computers?

All my computers can ping the router, the two Win 8 machines can ping each other but not see the Win 7 machines.  The Win 7 machines can ping each other but not see the Win 8 machines.

I have never had issues adding computers to the existing Homegroup.  I will continue to T/S on my side.

Thank you in advance.....

Monday, October 03, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Hey SpaceCowboy59,

Try following these steps to join an existing HomeGroup in Windows Developer Preview:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type HomeGroup
    • Click Setting on the right column
    • Click HomeGroup in the right column of the search results (not the HomeGroup in the left column of the search results)

If you are already joined to a HomeGroup you will need to select the Leave a HomeGroup... link and confirm that you want to leave. Then click Join now to enter the setup dialog to configure your computer to join a HomeGroup.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:20 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I have two computers which are installed with Windows Developer Preview, one for testing target and the other for testing host. In the Network, they can see and access the files shared by each other.

And now I want to test with network under visual studio 2011 preview, i.e. remote debug. But when I configure the target machine by Driver->test->Configure Computers, it always showing "cannot connet to the target machine". So I think they two machine are not in the same group (homegroup) although they can access each other in Network.

Now as your way, after I click Join now, I am asked to type password, I have typed any possible password but failed everytime. Can you tell me  what is the password or how to get it? thanks a lot.

Thanks again.

Have a nice day!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Hey Baoshanqiang,

The password that is being asked for will be the password that the computer/computers that are on the homegroup that you're trying to join used. You can view this password on a computer that is already part of the homegroup by:

Note: these steps are for finding the current homegroup password on a computer that is using Windows 7 that is already part of a homegroup

• Click Start
    • Type Homegroup
    • Press Enter on your keyboard

Once you are on this screen you will see the password that is being requested on your Windows Developer Preview PC when you're trying to join the homegroup.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have two computers which are both installed Windows Developer Preview. On one of them, I can get the password of Homegroup. There is a default password which is ircorrecct when I try to join the Homegroup on the other computer. After trying many times, I changed the default password, and the result is faild whatever. The hint message is the same, the password is incorrect, as the result before changing password. Note that after changing the password, I have restarted the computer. But it do not bring me goodluck.

I will have a try to join a Windows Developer Preview's Homegroup from Windows 7 and hope the same message would not show.

Thanks for your help. If you have some other solutions, please tell me.

Have a nice day!

Monday, January 16, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Hey Carl,

Let's try leaving your current homegroup and creating a brand new homegroup by following the steps below. (while using the computer that has the homegroup already set up)

• Enter the Start menu
    • Type Homegroup
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click the Homegroup item that is in the right column (not the left column)
    • Click Leave the homegroup...
    • Click Leave the homegroup
    • Click Create a homegroup
    • Click Next
    • Choose the setting that you wish to have
    • Click Next
    • Make note of the password that is given for your homegroup
    • Click Finish

Then take the password that you noted above and use it to try to join the newly created homegroup from your other Windows Developer Preview PC.

Steven
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for your detail reply!

I have done your method many times, per your steps, the result has no any change. Of cource, I have try to join the homegroup before changing password and after changing password, but it still show me the password is incorrect. If it is necessary, I would show you the screenshot.

I will continue joining the homegroup.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hey Carl,

Is there another computer on the network that is already in a homegroup? If so, try removing those computers from the network (temporarily) to isolate only the two that you are trying to create a homegroup with. Then try to see if the homegroup can be setup.

If the homegroup is successfully joined/created, then try reconnecting the other computers to see if their homegroup still functions properly.

Steven
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:03 AM