none
Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'table_name' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF

Question

• I'm trying to create a new record on the database using LINQ TO SQL, and I get the following error: Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'cad_local' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF.

I been googling arround about this issue for some time now, tried some suggestions including the ones i see on this forum and nothing seems to work.

Here is how my identity col is declared

[Column(Name = "id_local", IsPrimaryKey = true, IsDbGenerated = true, DbType = "int IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL", AutoSync = AutoSync.OnInsert)]
    public int ID { get;set; }

I didn't have the DbType specifiied, I tried this based on suggestions I saw, but it doesn't work at all.

I tried to set IsDbGenerated column to false, and it gives me an SQL Exception saying that I can't have two SET commands on the sql query. So im guessing that its creating a wrong query, but I'm creating the entity classes manually so I don't know whats wrong.

My database has the column called id_local, and its set as an identity and primary key.

Does anyone know what else I could try?

Thanks

Friday, December 11, 2009 1:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Turn on the SQL logging to see what SQL it is creating.

This should let us see what's actually happening.

[)amien
    • Marked as answer by Thiago N Leite Friday, December 11, 2009 5:04 PM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:15 PM
  • this is the query that linq is creating:

INSERT INTO [cad_local]([name_local], [obs_local], [dim_local], [id_local])
    VALUES (@p0, @p1, @p2, @p3)

This is the method on my repository responsible for saving

public void SaveLocal(Local local)
            {
                if (local.ID == 0)
                {
                    tableLocal.InsertOnSubmit(local);
                }
                else
                {
                    tableLocal.Attach(local);

tableLocal.Context.Refresh(RefreshMode.KeepCurrentValues, local);
                }

tableLocal.Context.Log = new DebugTextWriter();
                tableLocal.Context.SubmitChanges();
            }

Have no clue why its including the id_local!
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Can you post the DBML fragment for the whole of Local?

[)amien
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hey Damien.
    I was able to find the error. After check the logs I noticed that one of the fields was not on the query, so when I was going to post my entity class i noticed that I had another field that was a fk with the same name as my id col lol. I was afraid that it would be something really stupid i was doing kkk.
    It did not even imagine that it was related to another field, i thought the whole problem was with my entity class.

well anyway, thank you very much for you help!

regards!
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:04 PM