none
Sharepoint Approval WorkFlow

Question

• Dear All,

I have a requirement to create a Leave Application Approval WorkFlow in Sharepoint 2010

This is the scenario.

Requestor --> Approver 1 --> Approver 2

I have achieved this by copying the Globally resuable Approval workflow and associating with the custom list with leave application fields,

and everything is working fine,

But I have a problem that when a request is Approved or Rejected by the Final Approver, No email intimation is triggered to

the middle approvers, only email is sent to the initiator.

Also I need to acheive that when Approver 1 approves, email should also be sent to the initiator that your request is approved by

Approver 1 and sent forward to Approver 2 for his approval.

Please somebody suggest how to do this in Sharepoint Approval workflow...

thanks

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:21 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

1. You can select approver from a custom list .You can open the workflow in SharePoint Designer and click on Parameter: Approver .Then you can choose to enter approvers manually .In this way the address book will show up and you can choose 'Workflow lookup for a user ' .Then select column  value from a custom list .By the looking up  will need you to  provide some unique conditions to find the specific item in the custom list like ID .
    2. When use send email action ,you can also choose ’workflow select a user ’ to get the same item column as you did to select approval .Or you can set the local variable to get the value from custom list to store the approvers .Set the variable in ‘Before a task is assigned ’ section .If you use the Initiation Parameters to collect approver from user when the workflow starts ,you can use the parameter  in the send email action too .
    Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I understand that you want to edit the approval workflow to send email to approvals during the task process .You can try the actions below:

• If the Approval 1 and Approval 2 are fixed people which means all the Leave Applications Approval workflow will be approved by these two people ,you can modify the workflow to send the email like this :
      1. Open the workflow in SharePoint Designer .Click on the ‘Approval Workflow Task(en-US) Copy’ to edit the task process .
      2. Click ‘Change the behavior of a single task ’ .
      3. Find the When a task process completes ,you can add a ‘send email ‘action  under the condition ‘If Current Task: Outcome equals Approved ’ .Send the email to initiator , Approval1 and Approval 2 .
    • If the Approver 1 and Approval 2 will be different person which is collected from workflow initiator on the initiation form ,you need to get the approvals by creating another initiation parameter .
      1. Create another initiation form parameter named Approver11 .Set the approver to the parameter Approver11 instead of Parameter: Approver .
      2. Then you can send email to Approver11 and initiator like in step3 above (Parameter: Approver cannot be used elsewhere in workflow ,so we need to change it to another parameter ).
    Thanks

Entan Ming

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Dear Entan,

Thank you very much for your support,

Actually I have got this by using the below strategy,

I have the following criteria

sptest3(Requestor) --> sptest2(Approver1) --> sptest1(Final Approver)

These could be change in the real scenario, Just to ask some thing

1. Can I get Approver1, Approver2 from a custom list...???

2. Also can I save the approvers(sptest2, sptest1)  in the local workflow variable

so that I dont need to hardcode as below like "Email spTest2"(1st Approver)  or "Email spTest3"(Requestor)

I will just put variable , and it will get from the workflow approvers sequence or custom list based on Requestor's Approver1 and

Requestor's Final Approver.

Thank you once again for considering

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Hi ,

1. You can select approver from a custom list .You can open the workflow in SharePoint Designer and click on Parameter: Approver .Then you can choose to enter approvers manually .In this way the address book will show up and you can choose 'Workflow lookup for a user ' .Then select column  value from a custom list .By the looking up  will need you to  provide some unique conditions to find the specific item in the custom list like ID .
    2. When use send email action ,you can also choose ’workflow select a user ’ to get the same item column as you did to select approval .Or you can set the local variable to get the value from custom list to store the approvers .Set the variable in ‘Before a task is assigned ’ section .If you use the Initiation Parameters to collect approver from user when the workflow starts ,you can use the parameter  in the send email action too .
    Thanks

Entan Ming

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Thanks Entan,

I will surely do as you say...

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Hi Entan

Sorry to interrupt you again,

actually I am currently unable to do this dynamic approver thing. :(

I have created a custom List with the name "Users" having two columns | Requestor Name | Manager |

sptest4                  sptest3

Now I created a second list with the name "Requests" and associate an approval workflow with the "Requests" list

Actually I am unable to configure "WorkFlow Lookup for a user"

now as I am Login with sptest4, I just want to get the Manager as Approver (dynamically) where Login == sptest4

(in this case Manager should be sptest3 for sptest4 )

Sorry for the interruption but actually I am stuck :(

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Hi Entan,

Thanks for the support, I have achieved the dynamic approvers from a custom list

thanks once again :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:34 PM