VS 2010 - using more than one source control system

Question

• Hi,

I have two projects - one in VS 2010 that resides in Team Foundation Server as its source control, and another in VS 2008 that has VSS as its source control.

Can I successfully use both source controls in VS 2010?  I am imagining this is possible, but I am unsure how to add in VSS without messing up the TFS setup already established.  I know I can switch source systems in Tools-Options-Source control but I just want to verify I'm on the right track and that won't impact my other project.

Thanks for any help!

Charron

Monday, January 03, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Charron,

Yes, you can use 2 source control providers in VS 2010 for 2 different projects. You can choose the provider at Tools-Options-Source Control. And the project will connect to the right provider when you open it.

Regards,

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | Software Configuration Management Solution

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Monday, January 10, 2011 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 10:18 AM
  • To clarify then:

You need to switch providers in order to set up/gain access to a project maintained in that specific source control provider.

Once the project is established in the environment, the source control then continues automatically.   Or do you have to flip flop the source control settings each time?  I'm thinking you shouldn't need to but I just want to be clear on that before I start!

Thanks!

Charron
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:31 PM
  • The source control would continue automatically after the project is established in the environment.

Catherine Sea

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Monday, January 10, 2011 8:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 9:41 AM
  • The source control would continue automatically after the project is established in the environment.

Catherine Sea

Actually, this does not seem to work for me. I have to manually change the source control provider setting each time I open a project. I am using TFS for one project and Mercurial for the other, and the source control setting does not "automatically" change when opening the solutions for these.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Hi BBRAB,

Did you follow the steps like this:

1. Open VS. Choose TFS as current SCC provider at Tools->Options->Source Control.

2. Open the project in source control of TFS.

If so, can you provide more info on the problem you met when you open a project?

Cheers,

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | TFS Hosting Service

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:15 PM