none
Using Hosted Build Controller with on-premise Test Controller

Question

• Hi Everyone!

I am trying to get automated testing working, using Team Foundation Service. I have successfully created my test code, and a build using the Hosted Build Controller, with the setting "Copy build output to the server". The build succeeds, and the built .dll can be downloaded successfully on the TFS team page in the browser.

I have also set up a test controller on a local virtual machine, and configured an environment in test manager. The agent runs fine, and I can start an automated test from test manager using the build.

This is however where things fail: there is an error message stating:

"The build directory of the test run either does not exist or access permission is required."

Is it at all foreseen to use the builds generated by the Team Foundation Service with test controllers? Is this a permission problem on my side, or a missing feature? If a missing feature, will I have to install an on-premise build controller in order to publish the build to some share?

Thank you!!

Oliver

Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Oliver,

It looks like, to make your test run you have to setup local build machine and set UC path for drop. We are working on the feature that will allow you to run test on hosted build but at present we don't have it.

• Marked as answer by Sviver Friday, May 24, 2013 9:22 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:37 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Where do you get the error? Are you running the test from MTM? Does test controller service account has permission to the build output?
    Monday, May 20, 2013 3:31 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Anjana,

Hi Anjana,

Yes, I am running the test from MTM, and I see this error message on the screen which is displayed while automatic test are being run. 

If I check the windows event log I see the same message coming from QTController.exe.

I am using the build service of Team Foundation Service, the build is thus not published on any local share. The build drop is residing somewhere on the Team Foundation Service, I do not even see the folder directly.

The account set in the test controller for accessing TFS is my windows live account. The account the test contriller service is running as is a local windows account on the machine the test controller is installed on.

Is it possible to add permission to this local account in Team Foundation Service? I thought I could only add windows live accounts there which are assigned to the project.

Oliver

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Can you provide a screenshot for Test controller console and Build def (screen that contains the drop location)?
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Oliver,

It looks like, to make your test run you have to setup local build machine and set UC path for drop. We are working on the feature that will allow you to run test on hosted build but at present we don't have it.

• Marked as answer by Sviver Friday, May 24, 2013 9:22 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Anjana,

Thanks for the info. I have managed to set up a local build machine, and automated tests now work fine. I thinks once it is implemented to use the Team Foundation Service builds for automated tests, that will simplify life a lot, so I am already looking forward to this feature in one of the next versions.

Oliver

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:23 AM
  • So, do you mean to say that Test Automation (via MTM) is not supported if your build host is in the cloud (i.e. TFS as Service).

On the other hand, it will work if you have a local TFS "Server" and build host?

doh!

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:40 PM