none
Cumulative Updates for Biztalk 2010

Question

• Hi,

We have Biztalk 2010 CU1 installed on our servers and planning to install the most recent Cumulative Update (CU5). My question is what is a cumulative update? how is it different from Hotfixes/ServicePacks? Can we install a CU even if our servers do not show any of the issues that are addressed in that particular CU?

Thanks

Harini

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:50 PM

Answers

• Cumulative update is the package that contains all the hotfixes for the issues that were resolved after the release of product.

It is recommended by MS to apply the most recent update released for the product but you need to test any hotfix/update in test/proof environment before applying it to production to make sure it is not breaking any functionality required. 

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitt-sharma.blogspot.com/)

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:05 AM

All replies

• There are two strategies:

• Do not change anything if it is not broken.
    • Install all current patches and upgrades.

The second one could broke something in your environment from time to time.

The first one works fine till a good crash is happened. Then there is nobody on site who has an experience with restoring systems.

I prefer taking the risk of installing all patches and upgrades.

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalkien: Advanced Questions

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Cumulative update is the package that contains all the hotfixes for the issues that were resolved after the release of product.

It is recommended by MS to apply the most recent update released for the product but you need to test any hotfix/update in test/proof environment before applying it to production to make sure it is not breaking any functionality required. 

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitt-sharma.blogspot.com/)

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:05 AM
  • My strategy would normally be don't fix if it aint broke. :-)

The CU contains hotfixes and service packs, but if your system runs fine without them what would be the business case to install it?

You need to upgrade your DTAP environments and test if everything still runs, which can be a costly excersise depending on the way you implemented it. The only reason for me would be if Microsoft requires it to keep it a supported configuration (of which I don't know if that's the case).

Of course it is a good idea to check the contents of the CU to be sure it doesn't contain things like security fixes which are almost always a good idea to install.

Jean-Paul Smit | Didago IT Consultancy
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    MCTS BizTalk 2006/2010 + Certified SOA Architect

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:25 AM
  • So if I am building a new server with BizTalk 2010 then should I just install the latest cumulative update.. or install each update one at a time??

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:54 PM
  • My strategy is to snapshot those development VMs, and apply at the lowest environment (criticality-wise speaking).  Allow a week for the devs to identify any issues, etc., then move to QA and finally production.

So far most cumulative updates have offered something we want, such as a fix in CU5, which we opened a support ticket for.  However I don't want to jump on an update as soon as it is freshly available.  Mostly I want to avoid, having to open a ticket for any environment, and being told, that I should first update to the latest CU.  I'm weaighing the need to be fairly current, with a greater need to be consistent across all of our platforms.

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Apply the latest cumulative update if it is a new server.  Note there is seperate CUs for Biztalk, Biztalk Adapter Pack, and Host Integration Server (if you use).

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:04 PM