none
Where are the dbproviderfactories registered in .NET 4.0

Question

• I installed VS2010 RC in a VM and noticed that when I look in the machine.config, there is only 1 provider listed under DbProviderFactories.  It is for SqlServerCe.  However, when I use DbProviderFactories.GetFactoryClasses I get 6 back.  Where are they registered?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hello Reggie, the .NET Framework providers such as System.Data.SqlClient and System.Data.OracleClient are no longer listed in the machine.config file starting with .NET Framework 4. DbProviderFactories.GetFactoryClasses() will determine the framework providers dynamically at runtime. Thanks, Wenchang
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Reggie,

we have changed the way DbProviderFactories.GetFactoryClasses() determines the framework providers in VS2010. They are no longer listed in the machine.config file. Custom providers will still continue to be listed in machine.config file.

Thanks,
    Wenchang
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:37 AM
  • So you aren't going to tell me where the Sql and Oracle providers are listed?  
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hello Reggie, the .NET Framework providers such as System.Data.SqlClient and System.Data.OracleClient are no longer listed in the machine.config file starting with .NET Framework 4. DbProviderFactories.GetFactoryClasses() will determine the framework providers dynamically at runtime. Thanks, Wenchang
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:16 PM