In C# Satellite Assembly

Question

• Hi,

Can u please Explain about Satellite Assembly with simple Example?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:00 AM

All replies

• Satellite Assembly is an output of a Class library file that you can refer in other projects.
    Muthu Krishnan.R Use only what you need, Reduce global warming
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:48 AM
  • A Satellite Assembly is an assembly consists of resource Files and No Code. It's just a collection of resources which can be used. AssemblyCulture Attribute must be set for Satellite Assembly.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:14 PM
  • I have an image which describes all steps or a word document prepared for this Task. Please let me know how can I upload to this article.

Thanks

Srinivasa Nadella

Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:19 PM
  • This msdn page pretty much explains the purpose of Satellite Assemblies.  Which is to provide culture specific resources independently of the main assembly.

When your program goes looking for a resources that it can't find, it attempts to locate it with a fallback mechanism.  One of the fallback mechanisms involves the satellite assembly, a special assembly containing the resources for a particular culture (and no code).  You can replace the satellite assembly without rebuilding your main assembly.

Here's a tutorial.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Steps to Build and Compile the Satellite Assembly

1. Open the "Resource File" option from the Menu in Visual Studio 2010.

2. It opens up a Grid View with three columns in it as "Name", "Value" & "Comment".

3. For Ex: Add the "Name" as "GoodBye" and Value as "Sayonaara"

4. Save the File in a Location anywhere on the User Machine.

5. Now open the Visual Studio Command Prompt .

6. Provide the command as below 

D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>al /t:lib /embed:E:\MSDN_Sample

s\Resources\resource.resx /out:E:\MSDN_Samples\Resources\Resource.dll

Al.exe is the one which actually compiles the File and make it as "Resource.dll". The "Resource.dll" is nothing but a Satellite Assembly.

You can refer this dll in any of the .NET project. There are numerous examples provided on the Internet for accessing a Satellite Assembly.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Apologies for the Delay. I have sent an email with document attached. IF you feel that if that is your required answer, please close this thread.

Thanks

Srini

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:16 AM
  • hi srinivas,

can u pls drop me a mail.

my mail id anantharaja1989@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:03 AM