none
Which version of .NET for Windows Mobile 6.1?

Question

• Hi,

I have developed an application for Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional in VB.NET using:
    Platform : Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK
    Framework Version : .NET 3.5
    Target Device : Windows Mobile 6 Classic Emulator
    Advanced Compile Settings -> Target CPU = Any CPU
    Devices -> Deploy latest version of the .NET CF (including SP) = True (Checked)

I made a cab file of it. And when customer installed the cab file, and when tried to run the application it gives error as 
    The application requires a newer version of microsoft.net compact framework than the version installed on the device. , when i then exit it says, "the application failed to load required components. Itf the .net compact framework is installed on a storage card,please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application again. If this fails, a re-installation of the.net compact framework is recommended.

Can anybody tell what is the error. What chanmges are required to run the application. The device is a new brand HP iPaq 614. Specs could be found at http://www.gsmarena.com/hp_ipaq_610c-2094.php

Some info reg Win Mob 6 - http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=os&id=c5213p&c=microsoft_windows_mobile_6.1_professional

Should the CPU be of ARM instead of Any? Or Version of .NET ?

Please guide me for the above. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, July 17, 2009 3:27 PM

Answers

• Just keep in mind what not all devices have NETCF V2 SP2 you've downgraded your project to.
    Unless you're not planning to target these devices you would need to deploy NETCF V2 SP2 with your application.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please can you run the cgacutil.exe found in the \Windows directory of the device to determine which version of .NET CF is installed?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:42 PM
  • This error means your application "requires a newer version of microsoft.net compact framework than the version installed on the device". 

In this case application needs NETCF V3.5 and device only has NETCF V2.0 SP2 in ROM. So you need to install NETCF V3.5 in order to run your application. As you developing deployment story for your application you should also take care of dependencies including NETCF V3.5 you're using.

No, CPU should not be ARM instead of Any.

Friday, July 17, 2009 3:46 PM

• Hello, 

Thanks Paul and Ilya for the info.

Ilya, 
    Devices -> Deploy latest version of the .NET CF (including SP) = True (Checked)
    I thought this takes care of dependencies required. If not, then how should it be taken care of.

On execution of the file cgacutil.exe, the results are :
    " Microsoft(R).net compact Framework [2.0.7045.0]"

So the .net version on device is 2.0 & I have developed in 3.5, I guess that's the problems here.

How do I compile my application in .net 2.0 - How can I change the .net version in my application. I have .net 2.0 also. I looked in properties of my application to change the version of .net, but couldn't find anywhere. I am using VS2008.

Any idea, What should be done and how?

Thanks
    • Edited by truptivd Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:18 AM Add more info.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

I think you will have to create a new project and select .NET CF 2.0 and copy the source code from the .NET CF 3.5 project to this new project. You may run into incompatiblity problems if you have made use of any of the features specific to .NET CF 3.5. There is an option to upgrade a project from 2.0 to 3.5, however I don't think there is an option to downgrade a project.

On the other hand, you could always install .NET CF 3.5, as Ilya suggests.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:19 AM

• Oh Paul, Thanks.

I migrated the application on new project with .net 2.0 and the application works perfectly on the device EXCEPT 1 thing.

The device has numeric keypad and on pressing numbers from the numeric keypad results in wrong chars like ", " etc. The emulators that I can see on VS don't have any keypad. How can I trap and test the numeric keypad values?

Do I have to trap the keydown event with Keys.NumPad0, Numpad1, etc. If required, I will do that, but how do I test it as none of the emulators have number pad?

I know this question is out of the topic, but would be great if can answer it and guide me accordingly.

Thanks,
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Just keep in mind what not all devices have NETCF V2 SP2 you've downgraded your project to.
    Unless you're not planning to target these devices you would need to deploy NETCF V2 SP2 with your application.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

You may want to investigate using the KeyboardPresent System State property :-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.windowsmobile.status.systemstate.keyboardpresent.aspx

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:34 PM

• Thanks Paul, 

Actually the problem was not that the keyboard is not working or diabled.

After clarifing I also came to know that, the point is somethign else.
    Just other chars are coming while pressing keys which is obvious in any mobile. Like when he presses 1 key, a, b, c, 1 comes. So he got to press 1 key 4 times for 1 to appear. He wants just to deal with numbers so doesn't want chars appearing.

But their is no way for a text box to set to accept only numbers. On keeping a key pressed firmly for about 2 secs, the number appears on its own, their is no need to press 1 4 times for 1 to appear. What can be done to achieve the same? Even if I put code for not entering chars in text box traping hte key codes, still the way he is using he will have to press a key 4 times to get the number.

Is their any other way ?

Thanks
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Hi. Sorry for reviving sush a old posting, but, i recently found myself in the same pinch and i ws wandering if you finaly found the way to make only numbers appear with the HP 614. i've searched many ways, none seems to work on the HP 614. if you have found a solution, please can you post it here, please?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:48 PM