Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate crash

Question

• Hi

I am using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate on Windows Server 2003. When I try to build / debug a Windows Form application in Visual Studio it crashs without showing any error message. But when I creat and build a Console application then Visual Studio does not crash.

I am unable to build Windows Form applications.

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:14 AM

All replies

• Just to clarify you're saying that VS itself crashes and goes away, not that your app crashes and goes away - correct?

We'll need more information than that to help you out.  When VS crashes you should get a crash file that will help identify what is going on.  If not then start up another instance of VS and attach to the first VS instance (before the crash) so you can get the error information. 

If you create a brand new WinForm project and try to run it and VS crashes then I'd say you have an installation issue.  If it fails during compilation then it is the framework.  But if a console app works then the framework is fine.

Michael Taylor - 8/27/2010
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Just to clarify you're saying that VS itself crashes and goes away, not that your app crashes and goes away - correct?

Yes, my application does not crash, VS itself crashes.

We'll need more information than that to help you out. When VS crashes you should get a crash file that will help identify what is going on. If not then start up another instance of VS and attach to the first VS instance (before the crash) so you can get the error information.

No, I get no error information. I have posted this issue on Microsoft Connect along with dump file but did not get any response yet.

If you create a brand new WinForm project and try to run it and VS crashes then I'd say you have an installation issue. If it fails during compilation then it is the framework. But if a console app works then the framework is fine.

Michael, I create new WinForm project and when try to build / debug it without any modification VS crashes. I re-installed VS but re-install did not resovle the issue.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 5:40 AM
  • It is, in all probability, your machine's configuration.  Many people are running VS without any problems so we'll concentrate their.  Build and debug are two different processes.  Which part is it crashing in: during compilation or when the debugger starts up?

What did the crash dump call stack look like?  Do you have any addins installed?  If you run VS with the /safemode option does it work correctly.  Can you open an existing WinForm project created on another machine and build or debug it?  Do you have any firewall or anti-virus programs installed that might be interfering?  Are you creating a new project and saving it to a local drive (the default), saving to a network drive or just creating a temporary project (not the default)?

Michael Taylor - 8/28/2010

Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Bellow is detail answer of your quries.

It is, in all probability, your machine's configuration.  Many people are running VS without any problems so we'll concentrate their.  Build and debug are two different processes.  Which part is it crashing in: during compilation or when the debugger starts up?

I am 100% sure there is not machine configuration issue. Because I have tested it on two different machines but had the same problem. When ever I modify Windows Form [Design mode] and I try to either build or debug (in both cases) VS crashes.

What did the crash dump call stack look like?

I have no idea how dump call stack look likes because after uploading it to Microsoft Connect I deleted it.

Do you have any addins installed?

I don’t have any add-ons installed.

If you run VS with the /safemode option does it work correctly.

I did not try it in safe-mode.

Can you open an existing WinForm project created on another machine and build or debug it?

Yes, I can but same thing happen

Do you have any firewall or anti-virus programs installed that might be interfering?

I have anti-virus installed.

Are you creating a new project and saving it to a local drive (the default), saving to a network drive or just creating a temporary project (not the default)?

I save the project on local drive.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Michael I have tried VS in safemode but it has the same problem.

We are using Symantec anti-virus on Windows Server 2003.

I uploaded dump file here on Microsoft Connect

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 11:05 AM
  • If you posted the request to Connect then the forum posting is really no longer relevant.  However MS is most likely going to reject your issue.  Connect is for reporting problems or suggestions to MS that can be reproduced by them.  If they can't reproduce it then they can't fix it.  Your first step for these types of problems should be the forums.  If others have seen the problem and/or it can't be resolved then it makes sense to move to the Connect site.  Since MS is now handling this issue directly I'm considering this thread to be dead.  If MS can't help you out then we won't be able to.  Good luck.

Michael Taylor - 9/1/2010

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hi Sarban,

Welcome to MSDN forums!
    I am interested in helping.

You could create a new user account and try it again, or you could type ‘Devenv.exe /resetsettings’. It restores Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.

More information about Devenv.exe Command Line, you could refer the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms241273(v=VS.80).aspx

You could create a log file (‘Devenv.exe  /log’ ) on your drive. If this issue exists still, you could invest your log file to narrow down the issue.

This link is help you to wizard this command line

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/11/11/491924.aspx

Hope these helps, if you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alan Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Hi Sarban,

Would you please tell us whether you have solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, would you please help me to close this thread?

Hope these helps, if you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alan Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, September 06, 2010 1:19 AM