Path too long?

Question

• After installing the latest version of the power tools (Oct), I get the following error:

Team Foundation Error
    The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

It sems to only come up one time per Visual Studio 2008 instance. I'm not quite sure how to narrow down the problem.
    Jason Camp, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA, MCPD: Web, MCAD, MCSA, CISSP, SCSA
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

• The 260 characters is a limitation of Windows. So somewhere TFS is trying to access a path that is longer then 260 chars. On what command do you get the error?

- Ewald
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I think this may be occurring when the Team Members component trys to access the configuration files for itself.

$\[ProjectName\TeamProjectConfig\Teams\[ProjectName]-Contributors.config

If your root (mapped path) for your project is too long (or your project names are exceptionally long) then you could quite easily exceed the max!

I have a preference for mapping a single path from $\ to C:\Working\Workspaces\CPTFS01\

Martin Hinshelwood
    Team System MVP
    Martin Hinshelwood's Blog
    • Proposed as answer by MrHinshMVP Friday, December 05, 2008 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hua Chen Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:43 AM
    Friday, December 05, 2008 8:20 AM

All replies

• The 260 characters is a limitation of Windows. So somewhere TFS is trying to access a path that is longer then 260 chars. On what command do you get the error?

- Ewald
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I think this may be occurring when the Team Members component trys to access the configuration files for itself.

$\[ProjectName\TeamProjectConfig\Teams\[ProjectName]-Contributors.config

If your root (mapped path) for your project is too long (or your project names are exceptionally long) then you could quite easily exceed the max!

I have a preference for mapping a single path from $\ to C:\Working\Workspaces\CPTFS01\

Martin Hinshelwood
    Team System MVP
    Martin Hinshelwood's Blog
    • Proposed as answer by MrHinshMVP Friday, December 05, 2008 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hua Chen Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:43 AM
    Friday, December 05, 2008 8:20 AM
  • try Long Path Tool
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Hello...Path to long/deep? I can give a small suggestion. Then you may be able to delete, remove, renaming and others. Long Path Tool helped me in this situation, so at lest you can download “Long Path Tool" for solve this problem.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:26 AM