none
Probability Field On Opportunity

Question

• Hello Gurus,

I am trying to implement a simple requirement of constraining Opportunity Probability field to allow user to choose from only one of the four values i.e. 25, 50, 75 and 100.

At the moment Probability is a free text field, where user can type in anything.

I am thinking about the following options. Could you suggest which is the standard practise or if there is any other efficient way to achieve this?

1. Write a script on the field to check if users have entered one of the allowed values. If not, alert user.

2. Create a new field. Hide original probability field and write a script to update hidden out-of-the-box probability field, whenever someone populates the new field, so that probability appears correctly in reports etc.

3. Create a new field. Hide out-of-the-box field and replace old field with the new field everywhere including reports etc.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Prafulla Rawal

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Prafulla. 

What I think about the options:

1- There`s nothing wrong with it, but it`s just weird.

2- The problem is that your`re going to have to use script to hide the out-of-the-box field (if you hide it from the personalizations, you cannot change its value)  and I`m not sure, but I believe this is not supported.

3- I believe this is the best one. I would go with this one.

Good Luck.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:59 PM

All replies

• Check out this post, you can easily transform the text field into a picklist with static values.
    http://mscrm4ever.blogspot.com/2008/08/convert-text-field-to-picklist.html

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Hi Prafulla. 

What I think about the options:

1- There`s nothing wrong with it, but it`s just weird.

2- The problem is that your`re going to have to use script to hide the out-of-the-box field (if you hide it from the personalizations, you cannot change its value)  and I`m not sure, but I believe this is not supported.

3- I believe this is the best one. I would go with this one.

Good Luck.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:59 PM