(403) forbidden accessing SOAP objects

Question

• I have an EXE that is resident in a virtual directory on an IIS server.   The EXE is then hosted in IEEXEC.  One it load it uses .net remoting to access SOAP objects in a 2nd virtual directory that has the proper web.config and BIN sub-diretory.

Both directories are set for Integrated Authenication only.  I give the directories read and execute permissions for a global domain level group has members that are allowed to access this EXE and it's remote objects.  I have managed to get this configured correctly on 4 seperate servers.  (A mixture of 2000 and 2003 servers.)  Everything is in the local intranet zone.

I have now installed this EXE and SOAP objects on a new server on another network in another domain.  Accessing that server from a system in its local intranet zone does not work.  The EXE will download and run, but as soon as it attempts to access the SOAP objects it receives the exception below.
    Exception:
    The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

Server stack trace:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpClientTransportSink.ProcessResponseException(WebException webException, HttpWebResponse& response)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SoapClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at KMS.HGS.ConfigUtility.ConfigUtility.SaveConfig(String name)

I have double checked the IIS and file system permissions.  Everything looks right.  I have looked at the IE permissions for intranet zone.  Nothing jumps out at me.

Any insights on where to look to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:52 PM

Answers

• Just incase this will save someone else some grief.  The Virtual Directory that contains the objects must have a 'application' created. 
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:23 AM

All replies

• Just incase this will save someone else some grief.  The Virtual Directory that contains the objects must have a 'application' created. 
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:23 AM
  • Had the same problem publishing a C# application to IIS.  Make sure "publish.htm" is listed in the Default Documents section of the IIS Web Site properties...
    Friday, September 07, 2007 9:10 PM