How to disable Aero just for my application

Question

• Hi,

I need to disable programatically the Windows Aero in my application. I tried using "DwmEnableComposition" function, but it effected all applications. Is there a way to do it for my application only ?

Yoav.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:27 PM

Answers

• You might want to try setting the WS_EX_COMPOSITE style on the view.  I had another project where, without this style, the window wasn’t getting WM_PAINT messages when Aero was disabled or not present (e.g. in XP).  This seems to be the opposite of your problem, but I would still give it a try.

I’ve also heard scattered problems of unclean refresh during resize with Aero, but this makes no sense to me because Aero adds double-buffering so if anything the screen updates should be smoother.

-- David

I am trying to capture the image of the view (based on OpenGL) using bitblt but the bitmap does not contain the view content. Also I have some dirt and refresh problems when the view being resized.

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    • Marked as answer by Rob Pan Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:45 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:42 PM

All replies

• I don’t think you can.  What of your functionality is incompatible with Aero?

Thanks,
    David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:50 PM
  • DWM is a Direct3D app that replaces the GDI-based traditional desktop. You either run it as the desktop, or don't run it as the desktop.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:38 PM
  • I am trying to capture the image of the view (based on OpenGL) using bitblt but the bitmap does not contain the view content. Also I have some dirt and refresh problems when the view being resized.
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:08 AM
  • You might want to try setting the WS_EX_COMPOSITE style on the view.  I had another project where, without this style, the window wasn’t getting WM_PAINT messages when Aero was disabled or not present (e.g. in XP).  This seems to be the opposite of your problem, but I would still give it a try.

I’ve also heard scattered problems of unclean refresh during resize with Aero, but this makes no sense to me because Aero adds double-buffering so if anything the screen updates should be smoother.

-- David

I am trying to capture the image of the view (based on OpenGL) using bitblt but the bitmap does not contain the view content. Also I have some dirt and refresh problems when the view being resized.

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:45 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:42 PM